Cash Isa

I am looking for a easy access Cash Isa. I see that some say flexible, and others do not. Am i correct in thinking when it says flexible, i am able to withdraw money, and also put money back in. Whereas non flexible will not allow me to do this.

Equally if i was to open one Now. Would i be able to deposit £20000 either side of the financial year. The reason is purely down to not paying tax on my savings, if they were to exceed £1000.

Thanks

Replies

• MikeJXEMikeJXE Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Depending on your income you could be entitled to more than £1000 tax free 
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    25.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    tsmiggy54 said:
    I am looking for a easy access Cash Isa. I see that some say flexible, and others do not. Am i correct in thinking when it says flexible, i am able to withdraw money, and also put money back in. Whereas non flexible will not allow me to do this.
    All easy access cash ISAs allow you to withdraw and pay back in, but flexible ISAs allow you to do so without the redeposits counting towards your annual ISA contribution allowance: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/flexible-isas/

tsmiggy54 said:
    Equally if i was to open one Now. Would i be able to deposit £20000 either side of the financial year.
    Yes.

tsmiggy54 said:
    The reason is purely down to not paying tax on my savings, if they were to exceed £1000.
    The best approach is generally to consider how to optimise your net return, which may involve higher interest taxable accounts from which you'd potentially exceed the interest from a cash ISA, even after tax.
  • ExpotterExpotter Forumite
    278 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Talking about flexible ISAs, does anyone know the answer to this question:
    Say I open a flexible ISA in the current tax year, I deposit £20K and then withdraw £10k. Later I transfer this ISA to a different ISA, also flexible, can I still put the £10k back into it in the same tax year?
  • edited 25 November 2022 at 6:21PM
    isasmurfisasmurf Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 November 2022 at 6:21PM
    Yes. As far as the 2nd ISA is concerned they would only ever know you've subscribed £10k. They wouldn't know you've subscribed more then withdrawn some of it. It doesn't matter whether the 2nd ISA is flexible. 

You would not be able to do it if the withdrawn amount was previous year funds. 
  • ExpotterExpotter Forumite
    278 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    isasmurf said:
    Yes. As far as the 2nd ISA is concerned they would only ever know you've subscribed £10k. They wouldn't know you've subscribed more then withdrawn some of it. It doesn't matter whether the 2nd ISA is flexible. 

You would not be able to do it if the withdrawn amount was previous year funds. 
    You're right in thinking the 2nd bank wouldn't know, but the thing is, would HMRC know that I've already paid £20k this year and look at it as if I've paid £30k in total?
  • isasmurfisasmurf Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No. ISAs transferred out are not reported so HMRC would not know about the first ISA. 

Bank A would report to Bank B you've subscribed £10K. Bank B would report to HMRC you've subscribed £20K - the 10k reported to them by Bank A and the 10k you've put back in.