PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Damage between exchange and completion

Options
Joemdt
Joemdt Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 22 November 2022 at 10:42AM in House buying, renting & selling
We've exchanged on our house

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My understanding was that the property had to be handed over on completion in the same condition it was in at exchange?
    The seller would claim on their insurance / pay to fix it.
    The buyer may have to sort out the repairs though.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    difficult one as you would be asked to insure upon exchange , maybe the vendor cancelled their insurance on exchange.

Vendor did not cause the damage as it was due to rain...probably best asking your solicitor & see if an arrangement can be agreed upon after completion
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2022 at 10:09AM
    Options
    I can't see why the risk wouldn't be the buyers' - the issue might be what cover their policy actually provides for garden walls such as this? Especially if they argue that it was already knackered. I doubt "heavy rainfall" is going to be an insured risk - "flooding" maybe, or "storm damage".
  • mojo293
    mojo293 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 November 2022 at 9:34AM
    Options
    Is this not an example of why a buyer has to take out buildings insurance on exchange? So if anything happens once contracts have exchanged, then its the buyers insurance that can/will cover it?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,116 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would guess an insurer would say wear and tear. Walls don’t collapse every day it rains heavily so the wall must have been old and probably weak. Arguably the buyer accepted that it was an old weak wall when they viewed. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Joemdt said:
    The buyers chose not to get a survey on the property which might have identified it as being weak. I'm no expert and always assumed that it had been up for 100+ years, so no reason for it not to continue to stand.
    I think your clutching at straws to avoid paying for the wall to be fixed. If you broke a window in the house between exchange and completion you would have to get it fixed, this is no different.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My understanding is that once contract is exchange, buyer is expected to buy the house even if it is burnt down. By all means go thru your solicitor to get it fixed but if they don't you can't drag it for long and delay completion on basis of that. 
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 November 2022 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Hi

Important point missed; The insurance will only repair if it is damaged and will not repair if the wall had been neglected and it was wear and tear.

Importantly, as I've dealt with buying/selling a handful of properties bt my family especially one of them has bought sold many times. I recall him about a detached garage roof being damaged in a storm during their short exchange/completion period of one week.  He said he would have needed to claim on his/buyer's insurance

Important points:

The wall needed to be in good repair before the collapses
    The buyer would have needed insurance at the exchange of contracts and I'm not sure but possibly not everyone goes for this
    If the above two criteria is met and if it is worth the buyer while claiming on the insurance, then he can claim
    So it is the buyer's responsibility is my understanding from what I have heard.

(Call the solictor and find out to confirm the above if you wish, you choice - good luck)

• babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lender will state that insurance must be in place on exchange, so if it burns down their asset is covered  ,  A broken window is easy & cheap to replace.. a garden wall not necessarily as cheap 

Very much a grey area about who will pay 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,116 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lender will state that insurance must be in place on exchange, so if it burns down their asset is covered  ,  A broken window is easy & cheap to replace.. a garden wall not necessarily as cheap 

Very much a grey area about who will pay 
    No obligation to replace like for like. In fact there is probably no obligation to replace at all.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback