Front door lock / replacement

Options
mahoney
mahoney Posts: 377 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
Multi point door is having an issue... It lifts up and locks from the outside, but not from the inside.  It closes from the inside, but the locking doesn't work.
The original fitter came to look, it's out of warranty, needs a replacement lock (the whole multipoint thing I think).  They couldn't do it as they no longer stock this type of lock.
I'm a little bit fancying a new door......So, question:  Do I go for a full door change (there are side windows too), or just the lock.  
Of course the lock will be cheapest, but significantly so?
I did also wonder if we can just add an extra lock on the inside.  A latch type one maybe...
Thank you

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A new door will be £1000+, a new locking mechanism perhaps £250-400 with fitting.

In internal latch would work to a point, and will be much cheaper, but it won't be as secure, and there is a risk of you getting locked out of the latch is put one by someone inside who then leaves via another door, or is asleep. If you are in a city, I would look to have a new lock fitted, unless the existing door has other problems such as failing hinges or dents.  

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • mahoney
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    A new door will be £1000+, a new locking mechanism perhaps £250-400 with fitting.

In internal latch would work to a point, and will be much cheaper, but it won't be as secure, and there is a risk of you getting locked out of the latch is put one by someone inside who then leaves via another door, or is asleep. If you are in a city, I would look to have a new lock fitted, unless the existing door has other problems such as failing hinges or dents.  

Thank you.  I think we will end up going for the new lock.  The door is not long out of warranty, so not so old.  It's fine aside from this.  Just need to find a locksmith now I guess....
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A company doing upvc repairs might be cheaper than a locksmith.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,395 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    mahoney said:
    Multi point door is having an issue... It lifts up and locks from the outside, but not from the inside.  It closes from the inside, but the locking doesn't work.
    We had the same last year and found just replacing the lock/euro cylinder itself fixed the problem... only takes 1 screw to replace it so very much a self service solution. We took the opportunity to replace the poor quality original lock with a better quality one with anti-snap/drill etc but you could buy a cheapo lock for much less if you just want to check if its the cause. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The handle is (usually) on a single solid shaft that passes right through the door and lock mechanism. If it locks OK from outside, but not inside, are you leaning on the door when locking it ?

If it is the gearbox that is causing problems, there are companies out there that have stocks of obsolete mechanisms. There are even one or two manufacturing replacements. But from your brief description, I'd be inclined to suspect the door & lock needs adjustment rather than replacement. A local window/door doctor should be able to advise accordingly.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Replacing the lock mechanism and gearboxes is quite straightforward if that is the fault. If you take the mechanism into a decent trade window shop they can usually source a replacement or recommend an alternative.

Plenty of guides about, eg

https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/blogs/news/how-to-change-over-a-upvc-multipoint-door-lock
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,395 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    The handle is (usually) on a single solid shaft that passes right through the door and lock mechanism. If it locks OK from outside, but not inside, are you leaning on the door when locking it ?

If it is the gearbox that is causing problems, there are companies out there that have stocks of obsolete mechanisms. There are even one or two manufacturing replacements. But from your brief description, I'd be inclined to suspect the door & lock needs adjustment rather than replacement. A local window/door doctor should be able to advise accordingly.
    In our case from the outside you could engage the multipoint system and lock it fine but from the inside you could engage the multipoint system but the key wouldnt fully turn in the lock... no idea why, after removing the euro cylinder it would fully turn on both sides but putting it back in the inside wouldnt again. New euro cyclinder and its been fine for 18 months now. 
  • mahoney
    Options
    Thank you all.  We did have the original fitter come out, but he said they no longer stock the part needed.
    I will read up further on the advise above.  I don't really think I should change the door - seems wasteful, so hopefully can sort the locking part only.  
  • greenface2
    Options
    window doctor will sort it . May need a new mech or maybe just a gearbox. Try to lift handle and key lock it when open if it works then its fine its the door dropped or shifted  . If you fancy having a go yourself have a plan b . Take out lock and handle . unscrew the mech and post a pic . Oil it and blow out any bits and refit . Take off the keepers one by one and it may be that not the lock 
  • mahoney
    Options
    window doctor will sort it . May need a new mech or maybe just a gearbox. Try to lift handle and key lock it when open if it works then its fine its the door dropped or shifted  . If you fancy having a go yourself have a plan b . Take out lock and handle . unscrew the mech and post a pic . Oil it and blow out any bits and refit . Take off the keepers one by one and it may be that not the lock 
    Thank you - would you have a link for window doctor?  Just googled, but what I found was for installing doors + windows.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback