Starling connected card for pay at pump

Do Starling connected cards work at Tesco etc pay at pump or are they like pre paid cards?

Comments

• I never use a debit card at the pump, can take up to 21 day for the charge to come off and at £120 that’s a lot of money to be held.
    9 days is the longest I’ve had the charge held. That was working days so nearly 2 weeks.
    Only use credit card now.
  • I never use a debit card at the pump, can take up to 21 day for the charge to come off and at £120 that’s a lot of money to be held.
    9 days is the longest I’ve had the charge held. That was working days so nearly 2 weeks.
    Only use credit card now.
    I would do that too, but my problem is 9 times out of 10 I don't have my purse with my cards with me when I need the fuel and I don't live near the petrol station. I was thinking if the connected card could be used at the pump I could leave the card in the car and always have it when needed.
  • The only way to really know would be to test it.

You would of course have to have at least £100 on the card for it to work in many petrol stations and, in some cases, the money for the fuel too!

Possibly not the best option tbf.
  • Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Spooky241 said:
    ..... my problem is 9 times out of 10 I don't have my purse with my cards with me when I need the fuel and I don't live near the petrol station. I was thinking if the connected card could be used at the pump I could leave the card in the car and always have it when needed.
    Do you normally have your phone with you? If so, you can pay with Apple/GooglePay. You might have to go to the cashier to pay as not all petrol stations take contactless.
  • Band7 said:
    Spooky241 said:
    ..... my problem is 9 times out of 10 I don't have my purse with my cards with me when I need the fuel and I don't live near the petrol station. I was thinking if the connected card could be used at the pump I could leave the card in the car and always have it when needed.
    Do you normally have your phone with you? If so, you can pay with Apple/GooglePay. You might have to go to the cashier to pay as not all petrol stations take contactless.
    Yea I do but they are normally closed when I go so has to be contactless. Guess I will just get a connected card and try it for myself and see if it works.
  • Marquise
    Marquise Posts: 3
    First Post
    Spooky241 said:
    Band7 said:
    Spooky241 said:
    Yea I do but they are normally closed when I go so has to be contactless. Guess I will just get a connected card and try it for myself and see if it works.
    I was thinking of doing exactly the same - using a Starling "Space" (Sub account with its own debit card) with £120 balance in it.  I'd keep this card just for fuel emergencies when kiosk's are closed at night.  Then if ever my card was stolen it's limited to the value in that space.  Curious - did you try it out?
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    you could get a curve card, link your credit card and take the curve card with you
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,603
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Spooky241 said:
    Band7 said:
    Spooky241 said:
    I've never seen a petrol station closed but still let you use the pumps. Surely they'd have an outside hatch / window to let payments take place.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,651
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tesco  Pay at the Pump is open 24 hours. My local one is pay at the pump only, no kiosk.

Petrol station beside where we used to live  closed at midnight until 7 am but pay a the pump was still available.

Asda petrol stations are all pay at the pump with no kiosks at all.

Helpline telephone available which connects to the store. 
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 3:47PM
    Spooky241 said:
    Band7 said:
    Spooky241 said:
    I've never seen a petrol station closed but still let you use the pumps. Surely they'd have an outside hatch / window to let payments take place.
    You are mistaken.

On topic: I always use a credit card, but tried Chase debit card once (with more than sufficient balance) and it was rejected.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback