Android to iPhone

Options
I have just got a new (to me ) iPhone 7.

I was hoping to transfer all my photos, videos etc. to the new phone but don't know how to. I decided to transfer them to my laptop but all my pictures etc. have not gone on to the laptop and I don't know why. 

I thought to put them all on a CD so I did not lose any but am told that CD's are a thing of the past.

I have been told to put them on a data stick. I have looked at these and there are various GB sizes. Which should I go for?

If I put them onto a data stick, can I add more onto the stick at a later date? 

Keep on trucking!

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Simple !!!  theres an app for that. In iphone App Store and google play store there is an app to transfer from one to the other 
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    Be aware that the iPhone 7 cannot run the latest iOS release and is limited to iOS 15. Eventually (in a few years) software developers will not allow installs onto iPhones below a certain OS version.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You already have the phone so no point thinking what ios runs on it. Apple are great phones and I have helped many of my friends to switch. 
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    just making them aware that stuff they do today may suddenly stop working...
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    Simple !!!  theres an app for that. In iphone App Store and google play store there is an app to transfer from one to the other 
    What is it called? 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,671.53
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    is your Android Samsung, it has a Smart Switch App.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whatever you do, keep more than one copy of your photos. 

1. Copy (copy, do not move) them to the laptop

Connect the phone with a USB lead. In Windows File Explorer, navigate to the phone (it should appear in the top level list of folders under This PC) and open it with a double-click. You will have photos on your phone's memory, on an SD card within the phone, or both. 

When you open the phone, you should be presented with two folders - Card and Phone. Pick whichever is appropriate, or both in turn, and select DCIM, then Camera. You should then have a directory list with all the photos

Choose Select All from menu, or Ctrl+A and COPY, either from the menu or with Ctrl+C. 

Create a folder on the PC hard drive, and Paste these photos into it. Repeat if needed for both Card and Phone locations 

2.  Get a USB stick, an SD card, or other USB hard drive and connect that to the PC. Copy the photos from either the phone or from your PC drive to this. 

You should now have your photos in three locations - phone, PC hard drive and backup stick/card/drive. Double check that you have

It's now safe to play around with transferring photos from Android phone to iPhone, because whatever happens, you have two other copies of them. If things go wrong, you can get them from one of these sources.     
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    googler said:
    Whatever you do, keep more than one copy of your photos. 

1. Copy (copy, do not move) them to the laptop

Connect the phone with a USB lead. In Windows File Explorer, navigate to the phone (it should appear in the top level list of folders under This PC) and open it with a double-click. You will have photos on your phone's memory, on an SD card within the phone, or both. 

When you open the phone, you should be presented with two folders - Card and Phone. Pick whichever is appropriate, or both in turn, and select DCIM, then Camera. You should then have a directory list with all the photos

Choose Select All from menu, or Ctrl+A and COPY, either from the menu or with Ctrl+C. 

Create a folder on the PC hard drive, and Paste these photos into it. Repeat if needed for both Card and Phone locations 

2.  Get a USB stick, an SD card, or other USB hard drive and connect that to the PC. Copy the photos from either the phone or from your PC drive to this. 

You should now have your photos in three locations - phone, PC hard drive and backup stick/card/drive. Double check that you have

It's now safe to play around with transferring photos from Android phone to iPhone, because whatever happens, you have two other copies of them. If things go wrong, you can get them from one of these sources.     

On my android phone, after plugging in the USB I have to
    open up settings (the cog icon)
    then select "connected devices"
    then select USB
    then pick USE USB FOR  file transfer

to gain access to the  photos, otherwise windows helpfully says "something went wrong"

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Cacran said:
    I have just got a new (to me ) iPhone 7.

I was hoping to transfer all my photos, videos etc. to the new phone but don't know how to. I decided to transfer them to my laptop but all my pictures etc. have not gone on to the laptop and I don't know why. 

I thought to put them all on a CD so I did not lose any but am told that CD's are a thing of the past.

I have been told to put them on a data stick. I have looked at these and there are various GB sizes. Which should I go for?

If I put them onto a data stick, can I add more onto the stick at a later date? 

There are a few different ways to transfer data from Android to iPhone, but one of the easiest methods is to use an app like Move to iOS. This app is available for free on the App Store, and it will help you quickly and easily transfer your data from Android to iPhone.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind - which surprised me when I got an iPhone recently (a 6S, so someone else who isn't interested in buying the latest and greatest) is that you can't just connect the iPhone to your PC and drag your photos across to it once you've copied them from the Android phone. That frustrated me a lot, either having to get an app, or go via "the cloud" in some way just to copy files between two devices that are connected via a cable. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback