Heads up, compers! In order to investigate a technical issue, we've had to move some of the older threads from Game Over into a new category called 'Game Over Archives'. It'll be comps from before 2017, so shouldn't have too much impact on your day-to-day Forum experience. Thanks for your patience!

iPhone 13 mini win dilemma

edited 17 November 2022 at 10:31AM in I won! I won! I won!
18 replies 1.8K views
2»

Replies

• Comping_RichComping_Rich Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    According to DHL:

The payment of duties and taxes are typically the responsibility of the receiver.

DHL typically pays duties and taxes to authorities upon import on behalf of the receiver, and then charges the receiver.

In addition, if the shipper pre-selects to pay all DHL charges (and duties and taxes) when creating a shipment (on behalf of their customers/receivers of the goods), then DHL will outlay duties and taxes and charge it back to the shipper (together with other customs-related charges, if applicable). This ensures no charges to receivers of goods.

Contact your DHL Express representative for more information about our DHL Billing Services.

Who is responsible for payment of duties and taxes?

Duties and taxes are levied by Customs in the destination country and the receiver is responsible for paying them.

• DHL will pay the charges on the receiver's behalf and collect payment from the receiver prior to or on delivery.
    • Generally, DHL Express is unable to deliver parcels until these have been paid.
    Why is the receiver being asked to pay Customs duties and taxes?

Might be worth contacting Citizens Advice or some similar organization.

Stay At Home | Protect The NHS | Save Lives 
    Stay Alert | Control The Virus | Save Lives 
    Posting is a privilege, not a right. This is a privately-owned site. Posting is a privilege, not a right. Any inappropriate posts or any issues that take up a disproportionate amount of resources or make it a worse place to be will be stopped at our discretion - with or without explanation. No one pays to use this site; when there are issues, we pay to resolve them. Sometimes we need to prioritise spending money on the site, other issues or better resources.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way.

• Deb2008Deb2008 Forumite
    890 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Glad you have the phone, Well done.
    Odd that it was delivered, I would just check with the prize giver, incase they have paid it and you dont have to.
    2011 & 2012 - Many Fantastic Prizes - thank you to all posters 2021 7 small prizes 2022 1 small clever pots win2023
  • lottiegirllottiegirl Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well done.
  • cutey1983cutey1983 Forumite
    245 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    cutey1983 said:
    Pinkyp said:
    Yeah the senders may have already paid the Tax & Duty on this if its been delivered as Customs don't usually release the goods until payment has been received. 

Well Done, Nice Win  :)  
    I would have thought the same, but the sender implicitly stated duties and taxes are payable in their dispatch confirmation email.

Very strange that DHL delivered before payment, despite sending an invoice (by both text and email) and calling me yesterday.

I'm a law abiding citizen, however times are hard and I wonder if there is some loophole that legally gets me out of paying...
    Some couriers like Parcel Force will only deliver before delivery but most deliver first and invoice later. There are no loopholes they paid the VAT and import duties for you so you owe them that money plus their admin charge. You could get the VAT and ID refunded if you returned the item but you would need to claim that from HMRC and you would not get the DHL admin fee back.

All you can really do is curse brexiteers or kick yourself if you are one of them :)
    Thanks for your help Comping Rich. No word from DHL since they sent the invoice, so I am hoping God makes them forget or perhaps the prizegiver did actually pay the import duty and tax. Fingers crossed either way!
  • Lili7Lili7 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well Done!!!:)
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    cutey1983 said:
    Pinkyp said:
    Yeah the senders may have already paid the Tax & Duty on this if its been delivered as Customs don't usually release the goods until payment has been received. 

Well Done, Nice Win  :)  
    I would have thought the same, but the sender implicitly stated duties and taxes are payable in their dispatch confirmation email.

Very strange that DHL delivered before payment, despite sending an invoice (by both text and email) and calling me yesterday.

I'm a law abiding citizen, however times are hard and I wonder if there is some loophole that legally gets me out of paying...
    Some couriers like Parcel Force will only deliver before delivery 
    I wish mine would deliver before delivery - then they might be on time instead of always late :)

To the OP - I'd get it paid, and either sell the phone to recoup your costs, or enjoy a nice new phone for a bargain price :) Well done on winning. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • jasboonijasbooni Forumite
    40 Posts
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Congrats! :)