Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

iPhone 13 mini win dilemma

edited 17 November at 10:31AM in I won! I won! I won!
17 replies 1.5K views
cutey1983cutey1983 Forumite
234 Posts
Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 17 November at 10:31AM in I won! I won! I won!
I won an iPhone 13 mini a month ago with the Navigator 30y competition here:
 https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6386985/e-31-12-win-1-of-130-iphone-13 

I was initially thrilled, but this happiness quickly turned to annoyance and disappointment when I received a £140 import duty/tax email from DHL yesterday. The company are based in Portugal, and since we're no longer part of the EU, there is no getting around this charge.

Paying such a hefty amount just to receive a competition prize just does not sit right with me, especially on top of the £8 I have already spent posting my ID and certification code documents.

I was planning to sell the phone, but if I can't for any reason, then I will have lost a sum of money that I simply cannot afford in these tough financial times.

I'm in two minds as to what to do here. Risk paying in the hopes I can make a sale profit or refuse and cancel the delivery? 

What would you do in my siutation?

Your tuppence would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Comping_RichComping_Rich Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have a look at completed listings on eBay for the iPhone Mini 13, to see roughly how much you could get for it. Even if you only sold it for £200 you would make some profit.
    Stay At Home | Protect The NHS | Save Lives 
    Stay Alert | Control The Virus | Save Lives 
    Posting is a privilege, not a right. This is a privately-owned site. Posting is a privilege, not a right. Any inappropriate posts or any issues that take up a disproportionate amount of resources or make it a worse place to be will be stopped at our discretion - with or without explanation. No one pays to use this site; when there are issues, we pay to resolve them. Sometimes we need to prioritise spending money on the site, other issues or better resources.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way.

• cutey1983cutey1983 Forumite
    234 Posts
    Forumite
    I reseached sold prices on eBay a few weeks ago and it's around £500. 

DHL actually delivered the iPhone today, to my surprise. I really wasn't expecting them to do this without payment!

This puts me in a great position to sell the phone first, then pay the import duty/tax charge. 

:)
  • ellenvanellenvan Forumite
    84 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    Are you very sure that the promotor has not already paid the taxes/ import duty?
  • BigboytysonBigboytyson Forumite
    3K Posts
    Forumite
    Well done xxx
    💖💖Love Comping,💖💖 In it to Win it.💖💖
    💖💖If I don't win its not the end of the world,theres always another one to enter💖💖
    💖💖Always be happy and congratulate those that do win💖💖
    💖💖Always Thank the original poster where's possible,💖💖 Thank you's goes along way💖💖 Good Luck Everyone💖💖
  • MikeJXEMikeJXE Forumite
    345 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    IT SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM TO ME !!!!! Never pay for anything unless you can have it in your hand, forget it and move on  
  • PinkypPinkyp Forumite
    103 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yeah the senders may have already paid the Tax & Duty on this if its been delivered as Customs don't usually release the goods until payment has been received. 

Well Done, Nice Win  :)  
    2022 Best Wins
    Holiday to Majorca, £500 Dorothy Perkins Voucher, a Year of Wine, An Electric Scooter, Hive Kit, My 1st Years £500 Voucher
    * Got To Be In It To Win It *
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:
    IT SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM TO ME !!!!! Never pay for anything unless you can have it in your hand, forget it and move on  
    The OP already has the phone, they have also had the invoice so have to pay it. They have still got a £650 phone for a £148 layout so are quids in after the £140 Brexit penalty. 
  • BayGinBayGin Forumite
    390 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving
  • Comping_RichComping_Rich Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Forumite
    MikeJXE said:

It's not a scam, previous years Navigator have mentioned in the terms and conditions about having to pay import fees, however I cant see it on the terms for this promotion.
    Stay At Home | Protect The NHS | Save Lives 
    Stay Alert | Control The Virus | Save Lives 
    Posting is a privilege, not a right. This is a privately-owned site. Posting is a privilege, not a right. Any inappropriate posts or any issues that take up a disproportionate amount of resources or make it a worse place to be will be stopped at our discretion - with or without explanation. No one pays to use this site; when there are issues, we pay to resolve them. Sometimes we need to prioritise spending money on the site, other issues or better resources.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way.

• cutey1983cutey1983 Forumite
    234 Posts
    Forumite
    Pinkyp said:
    Yeah the senders may have already paid the Tax & Duty on this if its been delivered as Customs don't usually release the goods until payment has been received. 

Well Done, Nice Win  :)  
    I would have thought the same, but the sender implicitly stated duties and taxes are payable in their dispatch confirmation email.

Very strange that DHL delivered before payment, despite sending an invoice (by both text and email) and calling me yesterday.

I'm a law abiding citizen, however times are hard and I wonder if there is some loophole that legally gets me out of paying...