Faulty Belling Cooker

Hello we bought a £1300 belling range cooker from AO in March. There is a grill fault and a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and they are asking to complete a modification. I have 2 very young children and am not happy at all about keeping the cooker. Belling are saying no to an exchange and AO the same, just directing me to Belling and say I need to have the modification carried out. What are my rights in relation to asking for a replacement? Thanks!


  • edited 16 November 2022 at 7:56PM
    eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    25.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 November 2022 at 7:56PM
    Assuming this is the seal issue referred to in https://www.belling.co.uk/sites/g/files/emiian401/files/2022-11/Media Statement Gas Range Cookers - 02.11. 22 (V2).pdf, I'd have thought that the implementation of what's called a simple fix is a reasonable remedy, so I don't believe you'd have any right to insist on a replacement instead of that?  If the repair doesn't work then that would put a different complexion on it though....
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, shouldn't the cooker have a one year guarantee or warranty or similar?  As per the link below -


    After six months it's more difficult to get a replacement or a refund (unless the retailer is willing), so you may have to go with the repair (or 'modification' as they call it) and see if that solves the problem.

    N.B. If you don't have one already, I'd definitely invest in a carbon monoxide detector. I believe every home should have one - they aren't expensive but they can save lives.  
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • jambo19jambo19 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to speak to them again tomorrow. My point is that I believe I have been sold a faulty cooker which is only 8 months old and so would prefer a replacement rather than modify the cooker and run the risk of still having an issue with CM. We do have a CM detector thanks but am going to get a new one.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You have no statutory right to a replacement under CRA 2015: the retailer can repair, refund or replace at their discretion. What you are being offered is a repair under the manufacturer's own warranty. If you were to negotiate a refund with AO then it would be discounted by the 8 months use you have already had.
    What is your objection to a repair that has presumably been specifically redesigned to avoid any future CM leakage?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You have the right to ask for a replacement.  They(AO)  have the right to replace it, but no obligation to do so.  If you exercised your consumer rights, they can choose whether to replace it, repair it or refund you.  Given that they're repairing it, they've fulfilled their obligation to you.

  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    22K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Even if you got an exchange cooker then you would probably get a like-for-like that has had the modification done (may even be more second hand than your own).  If it is the same fault as highlighted above then they say it is safe to use as long as you leave the grill door open.

    For peace of mind just make sure your CO detector s working.

    Past caring
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you are really that concerned about CO then you need an electric cooker. You have no right to a replacement, the manufacture has recognised a problem and is going to fix it. There is always a risk of CO poisoning with any gas device so replacing with an alternative gas cooker makes no difference to your families safety.

    Have you fitted CO alarms in your house? If not that is the best thing you can do to protect your family.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools