PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How Do I Save Money Leading Up To Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,683 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And watch out for the store hype! 

At a local to us large chain of supermarkets starting with a T they have had Baileys on special. 

A litre bottle was selling for £13 reduced from £21.  And the 700 ml one was reduced from £15.75 to £8.  So the reflex reaction is to get the bigger bottle as you save £7 whereas on the smaller one you save £6.25.  But the smaller one is actually better value having been reduced nearly 50% as opposed to the litre bottle being reduced by 33%.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and it's actually cheaper at sainsburys- if you want the original version
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:37 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=178 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Wraithlady
    Options
    If your family are of the 'it's not Christmas if it's not turkey' opinion, (or there's a lot of you to feed)  this won't work but for those not feeding the 5000, a free-range capon (or two) works out substantially cheaper than a free-range turkey. 

I had to opt for a FR bird as 'supermarket' turkey has the taste and consistency of blotting paper imho and MIL couldn't eat goose or duck (my preferred option) - but it was pricey! Average £50-65 for the smallest they'd do and we always had more leftovers than we knew what to do with. A free-range chicken or capon, however, is £7-10 which is a very noticeable saving, cooks more quickly (saving fuel costs) and we still had leftovers.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • Might not help you now but we as a family put away £20 a month from Jan to oct and then in oct we have a specified number to get what we want. It’s worked really good the last few years and we’ve not needed to worry about what to get everyone, plus because oct is the last payment you can get something in the Black Friday sales. This year myself and my other half are banding together to get a drill for the house. 
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023
    Yearly Grocery Challenge :  £17.89/£2100
    Fashion on the Ration 2023 - 66 points
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If your family are of the 'it's not Christmas if it's not turkey' opinion, (or there's a lot of you to feed)  this won't work but for those not feeding the 5000, a free-range capon (or two) works out substantially cheaper than a free-range turkey. 

I had to opt for a FR bird as 'supermarket' turkey has the taste and consistency of blotting paper imho and MIL couldn't eat goose or duck (my preferred option) - but it was pricey! Average £50-65 for the smallest they'd do and we always had more leftovers than we knew what to do with. A free-range chicken or capon, however, is £7-10 which is a very noticeable saving, cooks more quickly (saving fuel costs) and we still had leftovers.
    As a child we always had a capon for Christmas dinner, as my mum didn't like turkey. I can't find them anywhere now though, even my local butcher cannot get hold of them.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There will be 4 of us for Xmas and no-one eats that much turkey - we usually get a turkey breast / portion (last year £5  I think) - no left overs and plenty of space in the ovens for all the other goodies 
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,648 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We always had capon at Christmas when I was a child.  It was made illegal in the UK at least 20 years ago but if you're lucky you might find a butcher who can get you one but it will be imported from somewhere where it is not illegal.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure