PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How Do I Save Money Leading Up To Christmas?

Options
As we all know, Christmas is on the way. And with an increase in the cost of living, I'm becoming a bit worried. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated  :)

Comments

• MarkyDooToo
    Options
    Have an agreement with friends / family that present buying is limited either in value or number.
    Children might get a large present with adults pooling the money. Adults get a token present- I don't mean a shop token I mean small value.
    £5 challenge is a good one
    Don't waste money on tat!
    Home made rather than bought?
    Items bought from charity shops can be as good as new

For meals different folk can be the hosts and each family / person takes one dish/ course with them. Cuts the overall cost.
    Thinking Christmas day, Boxing Day, NY Eve- it doesn't have to be the same person / family doing all the work or shelling out all the money.
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply. It's very much appreciated :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you have skills you can use as a gift providing home made vouchers for something like a couple of hours gardening, DIY cooking a meal for someone who hasn’t the time, skills or ability. The last few years of my mum’s life she was housebound so time was more appreciated than a gift

If you buy for young children they don’t need or understand expensive gifts and can get overwhelmed with a lot of presents and then play with the boxes
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there are very many more ideas- I'm sure folk will be along with their suggestions.

One thing- are children involved in this? 
    If there are children I would suggest you start now to control their 'wants.'
    There's masses of advertising starting already which is directly aimed at children. Some of my friends used to suggest to their little ones that they concentrated on what they could give/ do rather than what they could get!

People seem to forget that it is 'just one day' Already I have seen a house locally decked out with sleigh etc!

There is a Christmas thread in the 'Life & Family' link. If you ask your question there I am sure there will be lots of low cost ideas.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Start thinking now about the sorts of things you want to do, eat etc. For example if you plan to make a christmas cake, establish what ingredients you'll need and start buying them from now. Do you need a cake as large as you "usually" make, or can you scale back the recipe/can your usual recipe make two smaller cakes with one of them then becoming a gift for someone? Meal plan now for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing day and note quantities of foods to be bought in your pre-christmas shop, and then try not to be tempted away from those quantities. 

If you decorate the house then use what you already have rather than buying new things. 

For presents, as already said broach the subject with those outside the direct family about a present amnesty. For groups of friends a Secret Santa arrangement with a small budget can be brilliant. For family presents we have for a good while worked on the basis that everyone writes a short list - it can have "wants" or "needs" on it but the idea is to make sure that people get what they will use rather than "filler" presents getting bought that end up heading straight to the charity shop. We often include things like toiletries - I've bought and wrapped up a years supply of toothpaste or shower gel for MrEH in the past for example - and that in turn means that he then doesn't have to spend his own money on those things during the year. 

And for regular spending in the run-up - just stop and think. The thing you're about to buy - do you actually need it? If yes, do you have anything else you could use instead? Would you do better doing without for a while and using that money for Christmas stuff? It's definitely not too late to soften the impact - and for next year, you will then have a full year to plan ahead, set budgets, and most importantly, save up! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    The thing that often seems to get forgotten is that we get to choose what we do about Christmas.
    It can cost as much as you decide you want it to. 

I have been doing Secret Santa with my siblings for years, it works really well. Vinted/ebay/charity shops - or just an agreement with someone to meet for tea and cake one afternoon. 
    I make a box full of gingerbread biscuits and put it in the staff tea room at work with a happy christmas post it on top. 
    My mum often makes fudge and jam to use as gifts. 

I remember having a great time as a child making decorations and a gingerbread house. 

I would also ignore some of it, christmas eve boxes seem totally unnecessary to me. 
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check what vouchers you have! Club card - boots etc. Sometimes people forget about these and they make a great dent in shopping.

I usually get my turkey with vouchers saved up, the veg is usually super cheap too.
    Living the simple life
  • jennystarpepper
    Options
    Try not to waste anything.  Meat, gravy and veg can go in a dish with a pie crust over the top and put in the freezer.

Don't go in shops you know you will overspend in, (not saying you do this) as @Katiehound has said 'don't spend money on tat'.  If you find it hard to resist, send another person, partner / older child with a list. 

Re-cycle gift bags. 

Don't always buy branded, if people are coming for a couple of drinks they will not know if those are Doritos or Aldi equivalent if they are in a bowl. 

Ask if people want things, I've bought posh puddings only for the men in the house to want a turkey sandwich or pork pie later on.  

Meal plan.

MFW -  01 10 21. £63761 01.10.22 £50962 01.10.23 £39979

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport