Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Small Claims Court - Ryanair

edited 15 November at 10:06AM in Coronavirus travel help & info
4 replies 208 views
LemonymoonlightLemonymoonlight Forumite
2 Posts
edited 15 November at 10:06AM in Coronavirus travel help & info
I put in an MCOL claim for £800 to Ryanair 14 days ago, as we were refused boarding on a flight for which they claimed we needed covid tests.  I have received this email today.
Dear Sirs,

We write on behalf of our client, the Defendant in the above matter.  

We refer to the claim form issued on 24/10/2022.  It appears to us that the proceedings have been started under the Online Civil Money Claims pilot scheme. However, the claim falls outside the scope of the scheme because the Defendant is legally represented (see Practice Direction 51R, paragraph 2.1 (3) (n) (i)). Our client wishes to defend the claim. We therefore give notice in accordance with Paragraph 10.1 (1) that the Defendant is unable to respond online, and we ask the court to proceed in accordance with Paragraphs 10.1 (3) to (5).

This sounds very official and I am not sure what to do next?  If anything?  Do I need a solicitor?  Any help, tips and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

This sounds very official and I am not sure what to do next?  If anything?  Do I need a solicitor?  Any help, tips and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You are going to court, it is official, dont let the vaguely modern online filing system make you think its anything but. 

The first bit is bluster, the second bit is them saying they wont be using the system so will ask the courts to send them paper forms. As per 10.1(5) the court should inform you the date on which the paper forms are sent to the defendant. 

If you choose to have a solicitor you will be paying for them from your own pocket win or lose. 
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    33.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    This should be posted on this board:
    Overseas holidays & travel planning — MoneySavingExpert Forum

(There is another board started at the beginning of covid 
    Coronavirus travel help & info — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    but it's pretty quiet now. The first one is your best bet to ensure you get more replies.

Site feedback board is for

Need help using the MSE Forum, or want to share feedback about how this website works?

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    33.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Just to point out that this has been moved to the very quiet Coronavirus travel board instead of the main Overseas holidays and travel planning board that I suggested.
    And it has had no replies.
  • LangerhanLangerhan Forumite
    80 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ryanair have disagreed with your claim and will be defending themselves in court.
    There are many countries which still require a negative covid test to enter. If you were flying to one of them, there's no way you're going to win here.
    Mortgage start date: 01/10/2021
    Original mortgage debt:
    £128,000
    Remaining debt (01/10/2022):
    £114,726
    Daily interest: £3.78