Definition of being broke..... whinge

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 52,955
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I confess myself thoroughly entertained by this spectacularly ageless whinge! I definitely remember being a teenager and listening to various much older adults tell me (and my friends) that we didn't know what real hardship was because we hadn't been through what they went through. In my mid-thirties now and I look forward to the day when I can regale ungrateful teens with stories of how they don't know what it was like back in the day, when we had to sneak into the "computer room" in the early hours and throw a towel over the router so we didn't wake the whole house up with boing-boing-bweep-cccrrcckccccc noises just so we could wait three hours for a dancing skeleton gif to load.
    Instead of being satisfied with what we have now, we should absolutely strive to do better. The NHS is struggling due to a huge lack of funding and the past 10+ years spent siphoning money and resources away from it. Social welfare is no longer as helpful as it used to be.
    A router? Luxury! We 'ad to make do wit' dial-up modem for years and years...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,631
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    sheramber said:
    John Swinney says 'Scotland is skint'. Is that  being broke?
    That's what happens when you get your pocket money on a Saturday morning and squander it all by lunchtime without thinking about what you need for the rest of the week then have a strop when you ask dad for more and he tells you no because you are already getting more pocket money than your brothers and sisters so you need to behave responsibly like them.

Or you squirrel money away in a bank account for future uses.
  • Ath_Wat
    Ath_Wat Posts: 1,504
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I look forward to the days when society has advanced to the point that no ten year old ever uses the word "need" instead of "want" when speaking casually to a friend in a shop. I am sure if we all work together we can overcome this problem.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,248
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    What's the definition of being broke?
    It is NOT "Not having sufficient funds to keep the up with the Jones's"
    ie) Not being able to upgrade to the latest iPhone or Electric Vehicle
    I heard a kid (aged about 10, complaining to his friend in a local shop, yesterday "My Dad has refused to buy a new iPhone because he's not got enough money, but I NEED a new one"
    I get fed up with people who dont understand how money works and how necessary it is for survival
    But, nobody actually "Starves to death" nowadays, unless there is another problem (ie health or mental)
    In the 19th century, things were far worse - there was no welfare state at all to fall back on - the best that a destitute person could expect was the workhouse, where you had to work, for example breaking rocks or picking oakam to earn your bowl of gruel - you would have slept in a bed, possibly its last resident died the previous day under the same sack blanket...........
    Consider yourselves lucky that there is a health service (which on the whole is pretty good and THERE FOR YOU in an emergency). And a welfare state that stops you from having to pick oakam

I found a bony lump between my boobs recently.  I phoned my surgery at 9.15 am and told the receptionist.  She immediately found me an appointment and at 10.40 am I was in the surgery being examined by a lovely lady Dr.  She reassured me it was nothing to worry about and said it was a “xiphoid process” not that unusual and I was perfectly normal.  She then showed me all the details online.  I was so happy I could have hugged but I think that is discouraged.   :)

I am lucky we have an amazing surgery.  
  • What's the definition of being broke?
    I heard a kid (aged about 10, complaining to his friend in a local shop, yesterday "My Dad has refused to buy a new iPhone because he's not got enough money, but I NEED a new one"
    I get fed up with people who dont understand how money works and how necessary it is for survival
    But, nobody actually "Starves to death" nowadays, unless there is another problem (ie health or mental)
    In the 19th century, things were far worse - there was no welfare state at all to fall back on - the best that a destitute person could expect was the workhouse, where you had to work, for example breaking rocks or picking oakam to earn your bowl of gruel - you would have slept in a bed, possibly its last resident died the previous day under the same sack blanket...........
    Consider yourselves lucky that there is a health service (which on the whole is pretty good and THERE FOR YOU in an emergency). And a welfare state that stops you from having to pick oakam

Great thread OP

It is great to see great advice.

I had a choice when I started out after education and I could try to run before I could or
    take the sensible route. I never wanted to work but work I did as did my family, my OH etc.
    Along with prudent spending/investing and thanks my parent's great guidance, we are where we are.

Thank you
  • sheramber said:
    My 10 year old grandson wants the latestI I phone.

He ain't getting one but it doesn't stop him wanting one.
    It's up to his parents to make the final decision and not the grandparents as Mrs Diy keeps on reminding me.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,631
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber said:

It's up to his parents to make the final decision and not the grandparents as Mrs Diy keeps on reminding me.

Who said anything about who made the decision?

However, it is  his parents who make the decision. Happy?
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,013
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

You can pick holes in most things if you want to complain. I don't know if the 10 year old did need a new phone or not, but I know I spend lots on things I don't need and so do most of the population. A house with an extra bedroom, a higher value car, gadgets and accessories. 

Doesn't mean people don't appreciate the other points that you've just lumped in together to get a response, although I do think more selfcare could be done to ease pressure on our public services and treat them with respect. 
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    sheramber said:

Who said anything about who made the decision?

However, it is  his parents who make the decision. Happy?
    So what was you saying when you posted and I quote, "he ain't getting one"? To be clear, you posted the comments as his grandparent and there was nothing to indicate the child's parents were saying that.
    Thanks.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pjcox2005 said:

You can pick holes in most things if you want to complain. I don't know if the 10 year old did need a new phone or not, but I know I spend lots on things I don't need and so do most of the population. A house with an extra bedroom, a higher value car, gadgets and accessories. 

Doesn't mean people don't appreciate the other points that you've just lumped in together to get a response, although I do think more selfcare could be done to ease pressure on our public services and treat them with respect. 
    A very fair post. Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure