We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

No energy payment for coin meter customers?

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £7 a week is incredibly cheap, even for a one b/r flat. And you are forgetting that you get unlimited gas included, which is how your heating and presumably hot water is supplied. Your LL is paying at least double what he was a year ago, so unless your rent has been increased, he is the one bearing the increase.
    If you received the full £400, plus the £150 you already had as a C. Tax rebate, then it would be £200 more than your annual spend on electricity.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • beatthebookienet
    Options
    macman said:
    £7 a week is incredibly cheap, even for a one b/r flat. And you are forgetting that you get unlimited gas included, which is how your heating and presumably hot water is supplied. Your LL is paying at least double what he was a year ago, so unless your rent has been increased, he is the one bearing the increase.
    If you received the full £400, plus the £150 you already had as a C. Tax rebate, then it would be £200 more than your annual spend on electricity.
    Bearing in mind the cost is factored into the rent to cover that "free" gas as well (no such thing as a free lunch).  The landlord has also increased my rent by 10% since last year. It just seems unfair that some people have been forgotten about whilst others benefit from the scheme
  • beatthebookienet
    Options
    Mstty said:
    I have looked into the £400 energy payment but can't find any information about people who have coin-operated meters in their home.

I pay for electricity with £1 and £2 coins. My gas/heating is included as part of my rent (I have no control over it so it's completely off for 6 months of the year). 

Does anyone know where me and my neighbours stand on this?

It seems unfair if rich people who own expensive houses get financial help but us that can only afford to rent a cheap 1 bedroom flat with a coin meter don't get anything. One of my neighbours struggles so much to pay the electricity that she asks to borrow £1 coins from others
    How well do you get on with your landlord?

The reason I ask is because they may well be willing to share the £400 between them and you and whoever pays this way.

If this was the case it would be a shame that for some getting help with energy costs comes down to their landlords discretion whilst others are paid automatically
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Your landlord could be on a business supplier rate so he won't get £400 either.

Something to take up with your local MP
  • macman
    Options
    macman said:
    Bearing in mind the cost is factored into the rent to cover that "free" gas as well (no such thing as a free lunch).  The landlord has also increased my rent by 10% since last year. It just seems unfair that some people have been forgotten about whilst others benefit from the scheme
    Well, in this case there is, because your LL has given you a blank cheque, since there is no limit on your usage, regardless of the cost to him. 
    10% is roughly in line with RPI.
    Non-electricity account holders haven't been forgotten about: but so far no-one has worked out quite how they can be rebated without the cost of having to assess their eligibility individually.
  • beatthebookienet
    beatthebookienet Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2022 at 11:29AM
    Options
    macman said:
    macman said:
    Well, in this case there is, because your LL has given you a blank cheque, since there is no limit on your usage, regardless of the cost to him. 
    10% is roughly in line with RPI.
    Non-electricity account holders haven't been forgotten about: but so far no-one has worked out quite how they can be rebated without the cost of having to assess their eligibility individually.
    The heating is on a fixed timer so not quite unlimited. A communual boiler heating 5 small flats in a house conversion should be cost effective to the landlord who is able to collect the cost back through the rent of all 5 tenants.

At the end of the day the cost of the energy is paid for by us tenants as with any household, so I don't get how us on the line and in lower tier accomodation could be assessed as ineligible whilst millionaires are automatically given the £400 with no questions asked. People will argue all day that we don't need it but the same could be said to those with high incomes who are getting an energy payment
  • You are ineligible simply because that's what the rules say.  Nobody is assessing specific circumstances.  This isn't class war.

Pick any rule and you will find someone who thinks it is unfair.
  • macman
    edited 17 December 2022 at 3:47PM
    Options
    How precisely do you suggest that the govt identifies those people who do not have their own residential electricity accounts, and ensures that fake applications are not made? The whole point of issuing the rebate via the suppliers is that it's automatic and quick-they just apply a monthly rebate to every account holder.
    For those off-grid or off their own supply, it's not so simple.
    Yes, some millionaires will benefit from the £400, but the alternative is to means test it, which is not cost-effective, and slow. 

• beatthebookienet
    beatthebookienet Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2022 at 3:26PM
    Options
    The poor have truly fallen and been left behind in the gutter. The rich march on with their money bags of public-funded payments.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm sure all those people using food-banks will be surprised to discover that you consider them rich!.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure