Fast Track reclaim management fee AFTER case closed?

Options
Can someone help to clear this up.
I made a claim for Working From Home Allowance in May 2022.
The same month I receive an email from them:

You signed up for our service to try and reclaim the expenses you paid whilst working at home from the HMRC. Unfortunately, HMRC have rejected your claim and advised us that:

Your client has claimed their allowance back for several years, which means that there is no more tax relief due.

Therefore, we are unable assist you any further and we have closed your case. 

6 Weeks later I did get an HMRC refund.
However, I have now received an invoice from Fast Track for a Claims Management Fee of £260 for this refund after my case was formerly closedclosed.

I spoke with an advisor and was directed to this part of their Ts&Cs:

2.1 No fees will be charged to you in respect of an unsuccessful claim. Where a claim is successful, FTR will charge a contingency fee representing no more than the greater value of either 30% plus VAT or £25.00 plus VAT at the prevailing rate (currently 20%) in respect of any redress/compensation/goodwill/rebate payment recovered on your behalf. The contingency fee of 30% plus VAT or £25.00 plus VAT is calculated before any applicable tax payment/deduction of which you are liable. Under no circumstances will you be required to pay more to us than this amount.

I'm confused about this.
My claim was closed by them
I was informed via email
Can they still charge me a fee over a month later?

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

If HMRC refunded you, then surely it was a successful claim?

• harold1066
    Options
    phillw said:

If HMRC refunded you, then surely it was a successful claim?

After my case is closed?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My claim was closed by them
    It was closed because they thought HMRC had refused.  HMRC changed their mind.  Them closing the case means they are taking no further action but it doesn't let you off the hook as you have received a refund and therefore owe them their money.

Next time, don't use a claims company for such a simple thing.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback