That Santander 2.75% savings account

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a joint current account with Santander. Opened a 2.75% esaver account for my wife and made the initial deposit,  but it was far from simple from then on !
    Santander changed her personal ID number and insisted on sending out all new security info, a temporary password and temporary security number - God only knows why !
    Took about 7 days after the initial application to arrive in the post. Suppose we are lucky that it only took 7 days with the postal strikes.!!
  • TisMeBill
    Options
    I had previously banked with Santander, so mine was set up in a few minutes. Even if you chose to move your mone elswhere, it may be worth continuing with the registration process so you are in a better position if they have any good offers in the future.
  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My experience trying to open the 2.75% account as a new customer was awful. The letters duly arrived as expected and the instructions on the letters are straight forward, however when you go to the website to 'register/log-in' nothing quite matches with the letters expected scenario, so you have to do a bit of guess work as to what codes numbers are required where. In the end i didn't even need the info from the 2nd letter - all very strange !
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a joint current account with Santander. Opened a 2.75% esaver account for my wife and made the initial deposit,  but it was far from simple from then on !
    Santander changed her personal ID number and insisted on sending out all new security info, a temporary password and temporary security number - God only knows why !
    Santander didn't change her personal ID, they gave her a new one. They always do that.
    You don't have to use the new ID; you can continue to use the old one and still see all accounts.

• subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2022 at 12:50PM
    Options
    Vortigern said:
    Santander didn't change her personal ID, they gave her a new one. They always do that.
    You don't have to use the new ID; you can continue to use the old one and still see all accounts.

I think the reason you think there is a problem is because it's a joint account. But the new esaver account was in your wife's name only so, in order to ensure only she could access it she gets new log in details. When she logs in she sees both the joint account and her esaver. When you log in you only see the joint account. Simples.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Temporary Security Number finally arrived today and I logged in. I didn't need the password sent with the first letter so I don't know what the point of that was.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • sparky0138
    Options
    kassy64 said:
    My experience trying to open the 2.75% account as a new customer was awful. The letters duly arrived as expected and the instructions on the letters are straight forward, however when you go to the website to 'register/log-in' nothing quite matches with the letters expected scenario, so you have to do a bit of guess work as to what codes numbers are required where. In the end i didn't even need the info from the 2nd letter - all very strange !
    This is exactly what I was going to post. Both my letters turned up together which isn't supposed to happen but as it turned out, I didn't need the into on the second letter at all. Not very good security-wise!
  • NUFC_Fan87
    Options
    I'm also having issues.

I have an existing login as I have my mortgage with them.

17/10
    Found the initial process easy. Got a confirmation email. This is when the issues began.

I got sent 6 emails after 5 minutes apart all identical, asking for ID documents, which according to the email could only be posted.

20/10
    I went in to Branch and they said I could scan and upload them instead, but they could do that for Me as I was there, which they did.

Heard nothing...

31/10
    Got a generic email saying "sorry for the delay", we'll have your account opened soon, if not we'll update you on the 4th November...

Currently the 7th November, still no account and no update. So have chased them again on their chatbot)
    Atrocious really. I've been with several other banks and they've always been super quick.
  • DjangoUnchained
    Options
    santander are an absolute shower, tried to open accounts with them in the past and again for this latest account, have given up. just as well as better accounts have come along now.  Use to have abbey national accounts then santander took them over and everything got messed up.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Never had a problem with them, just lucky?
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure