We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone Else Not Having Turkey This Christmas?

Options
13»

Comments

• annabanana82
    Options
    After seeing the turkey prices of some of the local butchers I imagine there will be a lot not having turkey this year,  £29 per kg!. Whilst I'm not a bad cook, I'm also no Delia Smith to do a £100+ piece of meat any favours. 

Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    After seeing the turkey prices of some of the local butchers I imagine there will be a lot not having turkey this year,  £29 per kg!. Whilst I'm not a bad cook, I'm also no Delia Smith to do a £100+ piece of meat any favours. 

It's still the same piece of meat that people have cooked for the last forever.
    Just a much expensive piece of meat.

• MrsStepford
    Options
    This year we kick off with farm-made chicken liver pâté from Lincolnshire, followed by roast pheasant from the Duke of Abergavenny's estate in Sussex. This with home made chestnut cream, Brussels sprouts with whole chestnuts and carrot and swede mash. Instead of Christmas pud, organic banana custard.
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    We're having chicken. I think my mother is getting it from the butcher though so it will be nice (thank goodness). She's an amazing cook although she does get a bit stressed at the vital moments! We usually have goose when the whole family gets together which I am actually not so keen on. I heard something earlier this year about a turkey shortage.
    3410/6000 emergency fund
    100/600 sinking fund

• castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whatever I fancy on the day. On my own
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Having T-bone this year.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 December 2023 at 3:56PM
    Options
    We had roast pheasant from the Duke of Abergavenny's Estate.  Big disappointment. Dry and tasteless. We've had some fab pheasant in the past but this was awful. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback