Charging Vat when not registered.

Options
I have just bought goods online and received an invoice. The invoice states that I have been charged VAT @ 20%, but the company is not VAT registered.

Can a company actually charge VAT if not registered?

Comments

• tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Technically not, however they can't reclaim VAT on input costs either, so would normally charge a higher price to offset this.

Does the total price you have been charged matched the advertised price? If so it is irrelevant from a consumer perspective, you have been charged what was agreed. It more makes a difference to a business that might expect to claim the VAT back.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Charging VAT when not registered is an offence and there are penalties for doing so.
  • Scrappycoco
    Options
    The advertised price is what I have been charged but it does state this included 20% VAT. It states this on my invoices as well,

• tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2022 at 4:00PM
    Options
    The advertised price is what I have been charged but it does state this included 20% VAT. It states this on my invoices as well,

Assuming the business turnover is under the VAT threshold, it's as likely to be ignorance to the rules as anything. Rather than charging you, for example, £12 inc VAT (which would be £10+VAT on the invoice), they should just be charging you a straight £12. However, if they are deliberately trying to give the impression they are collecting VAT but are not handing it over to HMRC, then that is straight up VAT fraud. If in doubt, you can report them to HMRC to look into.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have just bought goods online and received an invoice. The invoice states that I have been charged VAT @ 20%, but the company is not VAT registered.

How do you know they arent VAT registered?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Well, if they were, the invoice would say so and it would give a VAT registration no. 

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:

Well, if they were, the invoice would say so and it would give a VAT registration no. 
    It should do but we dont know that it didnt... we just know it showed VAT being added at 20%
  • tightauldgit
    Options

If they are genuinely not VAT registered then no. If they are VAT registered and just invoiced wrongly its more complicated.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is probably done out of ignorance rather than intent as has been said.  It is a bit like firms who advertise that something is VAT-free or "we pay the VAT for you" when in fact they just sell it at lower price and add the VAT to bring it up to a price that seems to be VAT-free.
  • Scrappycoco
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:

It should do but we dont know that it didnt... we just know it showed VAT being added at 20%
    I would not have queried it if there was a VAT number. And, it is a legal requirement if VAT registered to display your VAT number on your website.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback