M&S credit card random pending payment

Options
I’ve got an M&S credit card. I use it very rarely and it’s interest free for purchases, with about a year left on this promotional rate. 

Last week I paid the balance off, just under £2k. This was because I just wanted to clear it and simplify my debts. 

Tonight randomly at 11pm, I had a notification of payment appear as pending for £209. So, I messaged them via their chat and asked who the payment was for? The response I got (over the live chat) was that they’re two transactions for Marks and Spencer. Because they’re pending I can’t see any more info and they closed the chat without giving any more info. I’ve never had something like this before - could it be a glitch or could it be something more sinister? Anyone else had this with M&S Bank, which I think is run via HSBC?

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 October 2022 at 3:35AM
    Options
    Wait to see if they turn into cleared payments before worrying too much about it. 

Do you mean payment as in payment to your account to settle the debt - or payment as in debit as in money spent?

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have to go through security over live chat?
    If not they will not be able to give any account details. I would suggest you ring them to find out.
    Life in the slow lane
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you didn't spend in M&S then ring back and report it as fraudulent
  • bigfrankblue
    Options
    Called and used the live chat. I did get interrogated a bit if they were genuine purchases I'd made, but I stood my ground and explained I was at work during the time of the transactions. They've now promised to refund the payments back and I asked for the card to be canceled and a new one issued. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback