Cheapest supplier of smokeless coal/briquettes this year?

Does anyone have the best prices for smokeless bags of 'coal' this year please?

I normally buy from a local chandlery, and it's gone from £12.50 for 25kg to £16.50 for 25kg this year. This might be the best price I can get it, but I just wondered what other people are paying for this kind of fuel, and if I can get it any cheaper?

(I vary between 'Excel, Red, and Supertherm.- 50p difference between them)

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 October 2022 at 8:13PM
    £16.50 for 25kg is £660 a tonne.
    If you want individual bags it's a pretty good price but if you can take delivery and store a full tonne you can probably get it for less. A quick Google fort an example found "Hot Ovoids" for £568 a tonne delivered.
    You say chandlery - do you live on a houseboat?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • QrizB said:
    If you want individual bags it's a pretty good price but if you can take delivery and store a full tonne you can probably get it for less. A quick Google fort an example found "Hot Ovoids" for £568 a tonne delivered.
    I can get a 50p a bag discount if I take 5 bags, which is about my storage limit, but thanks for the info on a tonne.

No, not on a houseboat....I use the chandlery for quite a few bits and bobs and it's convenient 
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    QrizB said:
    we're considering getting or building a little coal store (right now we mostly burn logs so only the odd bag of coal). can you give any idea of the size a ton of coal takes up/the size we need to look for. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • ariarnia said:
    QrizB said:
    we're considering getting or building a little coal store (right now we mostly burn logs so only the odd bag of coal). can you give any idea of the size a ton of coal takes up/the size we need to look for. 
    If you follow QrizB's link, it shows the 20kg bags,  and it's 50 of those. (I think?) , not sure if that helps visualising a tonne?
  • ariarnia
    edited 22 October 2022 at 11:28PM
    QrizB said:
     A quick Google fort an example found "Hot Ovoids" for £568 a tonne delivered.

sorry to hijack again but we're just looking at this and wanted to check the numbers. google says coal is about 7/8 kw per kg. anthracite is about 9wk per kg and ovoids looks like its about 5kw per kg. 

using that link as an example for prices and buying a ton

coal is £630 a ton (1000kg) so thats 63p a kg and about 9p a kw
    anthracite is £620 a ton. 62p a kg and 6.8p a kw
    ovoids are £568 a ton. 57p a kg and 11.4 a kw 

that about right (i know different brands of fuel and how its burnt will have slightly different kw values)?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • QrizB
    ariarnia said:
    QrizB said:
    A tonne of coal is a pallet full, so (looking at the photo) roughly 1.2m x 1.0m x 1.5m tall.

sorry to hijack again but we're just looking at this and wanted to check the numbers. google says coal is about 7/8 kw per kg. anthracite is about 9wk per kg and ovoids looks like its about 5kw per kg. 

that about right (i know different brands of fuel and how its burnt will have slightly different kw values)?
    Your maaths looks to be correct, but I can't say whether you've got accurate energy content values from Google. I would be slightly surprised if ovoids really are as low as 5kWh/kg, as that's on a par with wood pellets.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • ariarnia
    QrizB said:
    ariarnia said:
    QrizB said:
    A tonne of coal is a pallet full, so (looking at the photo) roughly 1.2m x 1.0m x 1.5m tall.

Your maaths looks to be correct, but I can't say whether you've got accurate energy content values from Google. I would be slightly surprised if ovoids really are as low as 5kWh/kg, as that's on a par with wood pellets.
    thank you. those were just the figures we could find with a quick search while talking about it sat in bed :D we'll do some proper reasearch but its good to know the math is right as we can just plug in different numbers. might not be for this year but thinking about having a bit more household energy security as things are more and more uncertain. i think we would feel better to have them in store and its not like they go off!

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2022 at 3:25PM
    I've been buying from these people for several years now, 1 metric tonne at a time. Their prices have always been the best I could find and the service has been fine. However, they have greatly trimmed their range in the past few months and no longer seem to sell the type I use. Not sure what I'll do when I need to re-order. All the same, their prices still seem quite good, given the mad times in which we live.

https://www.housefuel.co.uk/
  • QrizB
    ariarnia said:
    ... thinking about having a bit more household energy security as things are more and more uncertain. i think we would feel better to have them in store and its not like they go off!
    I agree that a full log store or coal bunker is a very reassuring thing to have!
    My current house is mains gas and the previous owner pulled out the fireplaces, so while the flues are still there it would be a big upheaval to go back to solid fuel.
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A._Badger said:
    I've been buying from these people for several years now, 1 metric tonne at a time. Their prices have always been the best I could find and the service has been fine. However, they have greatly trimmed their range in the past few months and no longer seem to sell the type I use. Not sure what I'll do when I need to re-order. All the same, their prices still seem quite good, given the mad times in which we live.

https://www.housefuel.co.uk/
    I've also had coal from them but this year I found my coalman was roughly £100 a ton cheaper and he carries the bags in where due to me having a stone drive I have to carry from the other company 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback