We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

True inflation rate

Options
13»

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry - i am wrong - its a 37inch and its HD - what more can anyone want ?
    Probably a up to date TV when you bought it. But CRTs were long lived, we were not sure how long these plasma or LCD TVs would last.
    I would think the majority of cheap TVs would be designed to fail after five years or so.
    A 37" TV is quite small these days, I will buy bigger on my next TV, I struggle to read and writing.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It's not all about size!  :wink:
    Now a gainfully employed bassist again - WooHoo!
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    So - redundancy in items......

A boiler with a pilot light may work fine but use up money because the pilot light is on 24/7 - and yes, look at Energies Forum for examples.

Stand-by is welcomed and really mostly not thought about but depending when your 'stand-by' item was manufactured - how much electricity is it using?  https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-27/the-devices-you-should-turn-off-at-home-to-save-hundreds-of-pounds

The above weblink is a bit scare mongering - if you have a recently bought device it may use very little on standby but honestly - do we buy latest device if the one we have is working fine?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sevenhills said:

A 37" TV is quite small these days, I will buy bigger on my next TV, I struggle to read and writing.
    RobM99 said:
    It's not all about size!  :wink:
    I can't remember how long we have had our TV, I do remember it was a struggle to get one which was small enough for me to accept it in our lounge! It is 'only' 37" so I dread having to replace it, we'll be keeping it until it dies ... 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure