We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

True inflation rate

Options

Comments

• blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 October 2022 at 5:47AM
    Options
    The September inflation rates have now been published. They're up a bit more:

RPI = 12.6%
    CPIH = 8.8%
    CPI = 10.1%
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is RPI inflation 

• RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,541 Forumite
    Options
    It's subjective though. It depends on what you buy - or don't.
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's been inflation by subterfuge for quite a while, typically shrinkflation where the size of jars, or weights of goods  in a package have got smaller but the price has stayed the same (or gone up slightly).
    I've never believed the ersatz 2% number.
    It's just that petrol and gas prices have hit the headlines of late and made it more pronounced.
    The good thing about it is that the supermarket price rises have made it make more sense to shop for better quality products elsewhere, from farm shops, small outlets, local produce, and so-on.
    It's all well and good saying tech and so-on has gone down, but how many TVs do you have to buy a year to make that balance the books?
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a theory that if you keep bleating on about it, companies put prices up regardless whether raw materials etc have gone up because they think everyone is expecting it. Thanks BBC, you have so much to answer for !!!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    prowla said:

It's all well and good saying tech and so-on has gone down, but how many TVs do you have to buy a year to make that balance the books?
    A 48" CRT TV would have cost a lot of money 10+ years ago, now a flat TV less than £300
    Once every five years, that deflation would certainly bring the overall inflation rate down.
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    prowla said:

A 48" CRT TV would have cost a lot of money 10+ years ago, now a flat TV less than £300
    Once every five years, that deflation would certainly bring the overall inflation rate down.
    So you replace your TV every 5 years?
    I reckon that you need to find a more reliable brand
    We are still on a 12 year old TV
    And it will hardly affect personal inflation at all
    I mean £300 is hardly a game changer compared to average family outgoings of £30k pa
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,541 Forumite
    Options
    prowla said:

I mean £300 is hardly a game changer compared to average family outgoings of £30k pa
    Some folk replace them to get an updated, modern one. Otherwise we'd all still have 12" screened B&W sets in mono with a twiddly dial to tune in. Oh, you still have?
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2022 at 10:52AM
    Options
    RobM99 said:
    prowla said:

Some folk replace them to get an updated, modern one. Otherwise we'd all still have 12" screened B&W sets in mono with a twiddly dial to tune in. Oh, you still have?

No - I have a 32inch panasonic that is 100%  reliable and will go on until it finally fails (perhaps another 10 years)
  • MouldyOldDough
    Options
    Sorry - i am wrong - its a 37inch and its HD - what more can anyone want ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure