Parent's income and effect on student grant in Wales

Hello, I was looking at the student wales web site. If gives a table "for illustration porposes" of how different incomes effect the ratio between maintenace grant to maintenace loan. I was wondering if the grant is given in bands or is graduated evenly. For example it says house hold income £25000 grant £6946, household income £35,000 grant £5208.
So if income was £30,000 is the grant right in the middle of 6946 and 5208 or £5208 or £6946. 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,703
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    My understanding is that it is a sliding scale based on exact amounts, the illustrations are just examples.

At least in Wales you receive the total amount be it grant or loan, in a England you don’t get the total amount based on parental income.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thank you. That is very helpful. That way seems fairer too. I know what you mean, I think Welsh student's are better off than if they were from England. I do feel for this youger generation, the whole set up of student debt seems very unfair in my option.  I did ring student Wales finance with the question if a self employed person makes a loss then does it go on the form as a negative income (so it could be set against other income like it does for tax). But the person on the phone went away to checked and then came back and said don't put about the self employment on the form (as it was not "income") so leave the question about self employment blank but to mention in a covering letter about the loss. So I am worried that I didn't get the right answer, they say in the blurb the form must match the tax office records. I don't want to mess up the form.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback