10 years to 40

Options
1235»

Comments

• Waywardgirl3
    Options
    5 pounds sent to a work collection so money to last me the next week is £11.37

Currently crippled with upper back pain so can’t be as active as I’d like but trying to still be productive. 

On my travels I read the book ‘the year of less’ where the author goes on a year long shopping ban and it really got me thinking. 

I have so much STUFF. Whilst a year is daunting, the next 6 months are fairly quiet for me so I have decided to do a 6 month shopping ban and reflect. If I crave anything  not on my approved list I will write it in my notes and re assess in June. This will stop impulse purchasing and test if I REALLY want it and hopefully make me a more mindful consumer. 

My rules are as follows;

Approved shopping list 

gifts for others 

1 pair of sunglasses (my only pair broke when travelling) 

New phone case (currently living a risky life without one as mine broke!)

New sports bra (currently only have one which is untenable when you exercise 5 days a week) 

Warm hiking gloves (currently don’t have any) 

Riding boots (mine are ancient and cracked and the soles will fall off soon no doubt) 

Riding hat (mine is 10? Years old - bad I know!)

Crest whitening strips (one of my goals this year is to whiten teeth)

Flights (saving for a few travels later in the year - experiences are a priority not material things) 

I can replace items which break but original item must be unsalvageable and tossed. 

Banned shopping list (stuff I am not allowed to buy for the next six months minimum) 

Perfume 

Candles 

Books (have about 20 unread) 

Clothes 

Shoes 

Swimwear 

Sports gear (unless on approved list) 

Lipstick 

Stationary 

Supplements (I have a big supply of essentials advised by doctors that I have to take due to my conditions and I am focusing on eating/living right - no more will I be conned by a ‘miracle pill’ to help with my chronic illness)

Skincare (unless I run out of a specific current daily use item)

Makeup (unless I run out of a daily use item - unlikely) 

Electronics 

Decor and home stuff 

Magazines 

Takeaways for me and partner (will have the occasional one with friends as cheaper than eating out) 

Jewellery/accessories 

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Love your idea of a ban. Will have to look out for the book as well. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Waywardgirl3
    Waywardgirl3 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    5 pounds sent to a work collection so money to last me the next week is £11.37

Currently crippled with upper back pain so can’t be as active as I’d like but trying to still be productive. 

On my travels I read the book ‘the year of less’ where the author goes on a year long shopping ban and it really got me thinking. 

I have so much STUFF. Whilst a year is daunting, the next 6 months are fairly quiet for me so I have decided to do a 6 month shopping ban and reflect. If I crave anything  not on my approved list I will write it in my notes and re assess in June. This will stop impulse purchasing and test if I REALLY want it and hopefully make me a more mindful consumer. 

My rules are as follows;

Approved shopping list 

gifts for others 

1 pair of sunglasses (my only pair broke when travelling) 

New phone case (currently living a risky life without one as mine broke!)

New sports bra (currently only have one which is untenable when you exercise 5 days a week) 

Warm hiking gloves (currently don’t have any) 

Riding boots (mine are ancient and cracked and the soles will fall off soon no doubt) 

Riding hat (mine is 10? Years old - bad I know!)

Crest whitening strips (one of my goals this year is to whiten teeth)

Flights (saving for a few travels later in the year - experiences are a priority not material things) 

I can replace items which break but original item must be unsalvageable and tossed. 

Banned shopping list (stuff I am not allowed to buy for the next six months minimum) 

Perfume 

Candles 

Books (have about 20 unread) 

Clothes 

Shoes 

Swimwear 

Sports gear (unless on approved list) 

Lipstick 

Stationary 

Supplements (I have a big supply of essentials advised by doctors that I have to take due to my conditions and I am focusing on eating/living right - no more will I be conned by a ‘miracle pill’ to help with my chronic illness)

Skincare (unless I run out of a specific current daily use item)

Makeup (unless I run out of a daily use item - unlikely) 

Electronics 

Decor and home stuff 

Magazines 

Takeaways for me and partner (will have the occasional one with friends as cheaper than eating out) 

Jewellery/accessories 

Hi guys I’m back - the last few months I’ve spiralled. I was tempted to delete the above post as feel embarrassed - it’s now June and my shopping ban obviously didn’t happen. It was the same as a restrictive diet - I stuck to it for a bit and then binged….
  • Waywardgirl3
    Options
    In the last 6 months my debt has just gone up and up and up and I really need to get a handle on it now if I want any chance of hitting my future goals 
  • Waywardgirl3
    Options
    Debt total - June 2023 - £18,278.93

i know this is bad, my debt has increased by 6k since the start of the year. 

Quick life update on the past 6 months - I got a puppy, I got a promotion so I’m now on circa 40k a year and I crashed my car and wrote it off. Oh me and DP have also booked a date for our wedding in 2025. 

2023 has been a whirlwind!

about 3k of that added debt has been replacing my car with another second hand one and the associated costs. But the other 3k I honestly couldn’t tell you - it’s been frittered away. I really need to start thinking long term about my financial goals and stop being so impulsive. I also really need to work on my mental health and mindset in this area. That is a lot of money to just spend! 

My debt breakdown is as follows; 

Virgin credit card - 8,372.83
    MBNA credit card - 6,676.32
    MBNA loan - 3229.78

Both credit cards are 0 percent interest and the loan is 9 per cent so I’m tackling that first and then following the snowball method. 

Credit cards have been deleted from my Apple wallet and online shopping accounts and stashed away with our mortgage docs. I don’t want to cut them up in case I lose access to my apps/online banking and need their details but I will not be using them unless it is life or death. 

Speaking of which, I have a 400 pound emergency fund and sinking funds for the vets, dog expenses, car maintenance, home maintenance, a trip I’m taking in winter, Christmas, birthdays and our wedding of course.

Our wedding is summer 2025 and I’d like to be debt free by January 2025. I’ve done the numbers and with a bit of hustling I think it’s possible. 

Feeling organised and remotivated to get back on track! 
  • sunshine_raincloud
    Options
    Well done for coming back and making those first changes! Why don't you look over the last 3-6 months of bank statements and see where your money has gone? I found it very eye-opening at the beginning of my debt journey to see how much I had spent in various areas without even realising. 

Good luck on your journey. January 2025 sounds like an achievable goal if you put your mind to it!
    Debt free November 2022 

• Waywardgirl3
    Options
    Well done for coming back and making those first changes! Why don't you look over the last 3-6 months of bank statements and see where your money has gone? I found it very eye-opening at the beginning of my debt journey to see how much I had spent in various areas without even realising. 

Good luck on your journey. January 2025 sounds like an achievable goal if you put your mind to it!
    Thankyou! I’ve buried my head in the sand the last couple of months but I’ve taken the first step and committed now. 

Yes i am definitely going to do this! To be honest, A lot has gone on eating out and clothes to ‘cheer myself up’ but I’m hoping to get some momentum going with paying stuff off as I’m returning lots of the clothes (purchased in an impulsive frenzy last couple of weeks). I am also owed 900 pounds by my insurance company (long and stressful story but now resolved) so when that comes through it will come straight off the debt. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback