10 years to 40

Options

Comments

• Waywardgirl3
    Options

HELLO

In less MS news I rejoined the gym last week as I couldn’t run when it was icy and honestly it’s so important for me to exercise to manage my mental and physical health. I have decided it is worth the 25 pounds a month but I need to make sure I’m using it and if I’m not, say in summer, (as I do a lot of outdoor running/walking in those months) then I have the option to cancel for free or temporarily freeze my membership. I’ve gone a lot this week so do think it’s worth it to utilise weights/spin classes etc. as well as treadmill running when the weather is awful. 

My loan overpayment is FINALLY showing in the MBNA app - new debt figure is £11,360.27

I have a feeling overpaying is going to become addictive! Got an unexpected refund this morning from a parcel which I returned in November and honestly had given up on. 30 quid and I’ve moved it straight into my loan overpayment Monzo pot. I also have round ups set to this pot :-)

In the office today and gym straight after but I am fully equipped with food/snacks/coffee from home so a NSD planned. 

• Waywardgirl3
    Options
    Happy new year!!

Debt at the beginning of 2023 today  officially £11,360.27. 

So excited to see this go down and to see what progress I can make in the next year. 

Direct debit payment will come out tomorrow to my loan and I’ve just sent a 50 pound overpayment so will update the balances when these are showing. 

Emergency fund is back up to  850 :)

I love New Years and the New Years feeling setting goals. 

I’ve set myself what I think is a realistic goal of paying off 5,000 pounds next year (works out overpaying about 100 pounds a month) but I’d LOVE to half my debt balance or better. Lots of career and hobby goals to keep me busy too! 
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    HNY! Good luck with your goals. 
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • bekah89
    bekah89 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy new year! You’re doing great, owning a horse is amazing motivation for paying the debt off! You will get there! I’ve got a similar amount of debt and got into it from massively overspending a few years ago due to my mental health too. I’m just aiming to clear the debt so I can save for a house! With your emergency fund a positive is atleast that spending didn’t go on a credit card!
    March NSD 14/15

Debt £9607.54/£11296.89
    CC2:£2274.64/£2299.36 CC3: £1848/£1924.91 CC4:£25/£978.50 CC5: £1155/£1331.24 CC6: £3754.90/£4191.09 CC7: £550/£607.39
    CC1: paid off 14/02/23

PAYDBXMAS23 #4 £1432.74/£4000
    Saving for Xmas 23 £30/£365
    4.94% £570.89/£107 
    make £2023 in 2023 #24 £71.24/£2023
  • Waywardgirl3
    Options

January paycheck - 2660 (lots of overtime worked in December!)

January budget;

AA- 10

Monzo - 5

Apple Music - 5

Phone - 50

Netflix -10

DVLA - 15

Bills - 750

Joint credit card - 100

Emergency fund - 100

Mbna loan - 365

Klarna - 100 (I know I need to stop this)

Car insurance - 45

Calorie counter app - 5

Personal spends - 100

Petrol - 35

Prescription  - 10

Gym - 25

Partners birthday 2023 - 50

Christmas 2023 - 50

Travel sinking fund for bucket list trip - 830

As you can see not a very MS budget this month! My goal for January is just to stick to it and survive financially and not add to debt. 

I am travelling most of January to a bucket list destination ( booked before I started my debt free journey) that I have always dreamed of and I’ve managed to save and completely cash flow this trip - so that is my goal all spends to come out of travel sinking fund. 

However looking at my budget this month is a bit of a reality check. If I wasn’t going on this trip I’d have been able to throw over a grand at the debt! So my goal is to try and enjoy this trip without going overboard but also when I get back it will be nose to the grindstone and laser focus on paying the debt! 

• peb
    peb Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a good trip and don't waste time regretting it.

One thing I'd consider re the overtime, do you end up eating/buying more expensive food as you have less time?  I found overtime cost more than I earned as I paid for parking rather than using the bus and could never want to cook as per the meal plan so I'd buy easy to cook food.  You may need to plan more carefully.
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    Hey! Just skimmed through your diary and wanted to say don't feel guilty about the expense of riding lessons, riding is so good for your physical and mental health. Plus you need to keep riding so you're ready for your horse when you can afford it!

My parents bought me a horse as a teen, but I've paid all the expenses and livery since I got my first job at 14. This has meant I've never really known life without paying for a horse, but I couldn't afford the competition lifestyle and never really progressed past a pleasure rider. I've had my current horse for 15 years now and although I don't do much with him I do really enjoy looking after him, grooming and riding when I have time!

I hope you achieve your goals! Keep consistent is my advice!
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • Waywardgirl3
    Options

peb said:
    Have a good trip and don't waste time regretting it.

One thing I'd consider re the overtime, do you end up eating/buying more expensive food as you have less time?  I found overtime cost more than I earned as I paid for parking rather than using the bus and could never want to cook as per the meal plan so I'd buy easy to cook food.  You may need to plan more carefully.
    Thankyou!

I wfh when I do overtime so I have no excuse to be lazy! 
  • Waywardgirl3
    Waywardgirl3 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 January 2023 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Loan balance has updated - £11,034.69 :)

Had a pretty good MS start to the year, two more days in work and then I’m off travelling so it’s been hectic getting everything sorted and organised. Trying to eat the contents of the fridge before we go too and getting inventive - starting to love the feeling of resourcefulness and intentionality which comes with being a bit more frugal. 

Talking with my partner earlier about our future goals and it’s got me really motivated to smash this debt down. 
  • Waywardgirl3
    Waywardgirl3 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January 2023 at 6:53PM
    Options
    So I’m back from my travels. Also turned the big 3-0 in this time!

im happy to report that as per my goal I completely cash-flowed the entire trip and did not touch my emergency fund or a credit card - super happy! The trip was honestly just what I needed and it’s nice to know that if I’m disciplined I can still tick off bucket list goals whilst tackling my debt. 

SO, 220 pounds excess funds from the trip have been sent as an overpayment to my loan :) 

This leaves me with the princely sum of £16.37 to last me till pay day. There is money in the joint account for groceries so this should be more than enough for the next ten days. Hope everyone is well and excited to get stuck back in to it! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback