🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Translation requested....

Options
What does this mean please:

" I confirm I'm aware the type of account I'm opening is a Share account that confirms membership rights. I declare any shares(s) acquired by me/us under this account will not be held as a bare trustee (or in Scotland as a simple trustee) for a body corporate or for persons which include a body corporate".

It is on an on-line application form with Skipton Building Society, for a cash ISA - no shares involved from my point of view.

Thank you.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.bsa.org.uk/information/consumer-factsheets/savings/what-is-the-difference-between-a-shareholder-and-a

You are confirming that you hold the account as legal  and beneficial owner and not as trustee for  a group or society (club/limited company etc).
  • Rusty190
    Rusty190 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you.
    What about the bit that says the type of account ...is a Share account?
  • xylophone
    Options
    What about the bit that says the type of account ...is a Share account?

You read the link in my post carefully?

People and institutions investing in building societies can be divided into two categories - the depositor and the investing member (or shareholder). Depositors are not members of the society and have no say in its running.

The T&Cs you cite in your first post

I confirm I'm aware the type of account I'm opening is a Share account that confirms membership rights. 

• Rusty190
    Options
    Thanks @xylophone.
    I did read it.
    In the scheme of things, would/does this matter to an individual opening a cash ISA?
    Are there potential implications or is it just one of those (many!) Financial institution regulations that they are obliged to tell customers?
  • xylophone
    Options
    In the scheme of things, would/does this matter to an individual opening a cash ISA?

I don't see why it should particularly concern the opening of an ISA.

A person might be concerned as to whether or not the account he was opening with a particular  institution was one which conferred membership rights.

• Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rusty190 said:
    Thanks @xylophone.
    I did read it.
    Are there potential implications or is it just one of those (many!) Financial institution regulations that they are obliged to tell customers?
    Hi Rusty! No, it does not matter to an individual opening a cash ISA. Yes it is just a building society thing and can be safely ignored.
  • Rusty190
    Options
    Thank you @Beddie.
    That's all I wanted to know.
    This finance malarkey is soooo complicated it scrambles my brain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure