How to force a browser to NOT used a cached page

edited 5 October 2022 at 7:50PM in Techie Stuff
3 replies 121 views
grumpycrabgrumpycrab Forumite
5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
Forumite
edited 5 October 2022 at 7:50PM in Techie Stuff
Just done a minor update to a charity website and the only way I can see the update is by using a different browser or by deleting the browser cache.
Is there a web site/html command that I should use to force peoples' browsers NOT to use the browser cache?  (how can you tell I don't know what I'm doing?)
If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.

Replies

• 400ixl400ixl Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If it is the browser cache then usually

Windows: ctrl + F5
    Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R

• DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    https://theknowledgeadda.com/disable-caching-with-meta-html-tags-in-all-browser

Above gives you some options but ultimately the user's computer makes the decision. Also be aware that it may notably slow load times, in particular if you are using the likes of jQuery or React. Its a bit of a hammer to crack a nut.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just done a minor update to a charity website and the only way I can see the update is by using a different browser or by deleting the browser cache.
    Is there a web site/html command that I should use to force peoples' browsers NOT to use the browser cache?  (how can you tell I don't know what I'm doing?)

You don't (force other people's browsers that is).  You can only suggest it through tags or headers (if you're using a scripting language like PHP for example to build the page) - but if the browser decides to ignore it for whatever reason, not a lot you can do.  Different browsers require different methods, but if asked they should respect it.  But the modern day of plug-ins, extensions and what not to modify the experience/behaviour doesn't always mean a browser will behave how you expect it to.

Some internet providers used to run their own cache further up the line (Freeserve used to do this) to speed things up, though while this may have been beneficial in days of dial-up, is arguably less so in the era of broadband.