Cruises & Covid

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2022 at 2:15PM
    Options
    You don’t want to claim off your insurance because that will push up your premium, but you’re happy to try and claim compensation from P&O despite your illness not being due to any fault of theirs, and pushing up the price of future cruises instead?

I I do sympathise. It happened on parent’s cruise when a couple tested positive two days in and missed most of the rest of it but that’s just the chance you take when you go on a cruise nowadays unfortunately.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The purpose of taking out cruise insurance with Covid protection is to cover precisely this situation.  You didn't 'catch Covid' on the 4th day, you tested positive which is a very different thing.  You were almost certainly carrying when you boarded the ship.  There is no reason I can see for P&O to offer compensation.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Since you change travel insurance every year how would your premium increase?

You are not asked about previous claims on the application for travel insurance.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m curious, do the cruise ships insist you test regularly while on board? 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2022 at 7:53PM
    Options
    silvercar said:
    I’m curious, do the cruise ships insist you test regularly while on board? 
    Parent had to test every day back in May. I don't know if they're still doing that now or not. Possibly not because the PCR tests were a requirement for flying then but aren't any more so precautions have generally been downgraded.
    ETA - just checked and it's no longer needed for her river cruise. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just back from a short cruise, apart from all the crew and a handful of passengers, no one was wearing masks. Only had do a pre-embarkation test. From the 1st October even this test has been scrapped.
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    It’s not anyone’s fault.
    yes I think it’s unreasonable to expect p&o to compensate you for the results of sickness.
    you should claim off your insurance, that’s what it’s for.
    Could be P&O's fault for requiring people to isolate, if it's not legally mandated. Certainly in the UK there is no need to isolate, you can carry on going to work, going out, no mask, no need to notify anyone.

Then again I find it hard to have much sympathy for people who chose to be in a confined space with hundreds of people not wearing masks for an extended period of time. It's one thing if your livelihood depends on it, another if you just want to take a cruise.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    rigolith said:
    lisyloo said:
    It’s not anyone’s fault.
    yes I think it’s unreasonable to expect p&o to compensate you for the results of sickness.
    Could be P&O's fault for requiring people to isolate, if it's not legally mandated. Certainly in the UK there is no need to isolate, you can carry on going to work, going out, no mask, no need to notify anyone.

Then again I find it hard to have much sympathy for people who chose to be in a confined space with hundreds of people not wearing masks for an extended period of time. It's one thing if your livelihood depends on it, another if you just want to take a cruise.
    Interesting thoughts. I would hope that P&O spell this out in their pre booking literature. I imagine most people wouldn’t want to be on a cruise ship knowing that people who have tested positive for covid are roaming free. So it is in part an encouragement to book, if you feel that there are some safeguards in place. Which does beg the question, “why test?” If you know that is going to send you into isolation on board?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rigolith said:
    lisyloo said:
    It’s not anyone’s fault.

Its a good point but if they told you before booking then I think that’s all null and void and then it’s up to you to buy and use your own insurance.
    pre covid there was norovirus (and still is) so I would be surprised if it isn’t in their terms and conditions that they can make you isolate for contagious diseases.

a cruise ship is a different environment to normal life. Many hundreds/thousands of people sharing the same toilets and dining areas.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar said:
    rigolith said:
    lisyloo said:
    It’s not anyone’s fault.

Interesting thoughts. I would hope that P&O spell this out in their pre booking literature. I imagine most people wouldn’t want to be on a cruise ship knowing that people who have tested positive for covid are roaming free. So it is in part an encouragement to book, if you feel that there are some safeguards in place. Which does beg the question, “why test?” If you know that is going to send you into isolation on board?
    P&Os website doesn't make it explicit but if you are unwell and go to the onboard doctor asking for advice for what appears to be covid symptoms it does make sense that they would ask you to test. The website does make it clear that if you then test positive you have to isolate.
    https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/enhanced-health-measures

Whereas I've sailed with Virgin and they seem much clearer https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback