Mental Health Report

My friend's partner doctor said the person is fit and healthy with no mental health issues, they can't issue a letter to reflect that. However their ex-partner demand a report or letter to confirm that, so they could see their child... how is this possible, is the private doctor the way, via telephone? any suggestions or website? 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Is this a private arrangement between the child's parents or is it before the Court.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Being free of mental health issues is not a prerequisite to seeing your child. Unless there’s a huge backstory here, on the face of it the ex is being unreadable. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
     As the other posters say it's an unreasonable request and only a court can demand this.

But if they request a copy of their medical records under data protection it should be there. 
  • Is this a private arrangement between the child's parents or is it before the Court.
    Private arrangement.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd suggest that if one parent is stopping another parent seeing their child unless a mental health report is provided then an application needs to be made to the Court, from my own experience and the experiences of others it's not going to get any better and, if a mental health report was provided, I'm sure the parent would make equally bizarre requests.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Year2000
    Year2000 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    I'd suggest that if one parent is stopping another parent seeing their child unless a mental health report is provided then an application needs to be made to the Court, from my own experience and the experiences of others it's not going to get any better and, if a mental health report was provided, I'm sure the parent would make equally bizarre requests.
    My friend just wanted to know how to get a mental health report privately, any companies or organisation offer this service? They said if they don't accept it or move the goal post to something else then they are thinking to to do child arrangement via court.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Year2000 said:
    My friend just wanted to know how to get a mental health report privately, any companies or organisation offer this service? They said if they don't accept it or move the goal post to something else then they are thinking to to do child arrangement via court.
    Personally, I think it would be better to go straight to court. That should knock this sort of nonsense on the head ... 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If I was your friend, I wouldn’t entertain trying to provide a report, but would go for court arrangements anyway. It’s just a form of control so why pander to it? I’m guessing the difficult parent hasn’t provided their own clean bill of health in return. 

FWIW I have known patients in mental health units who maintain contact with their children with no issues. So even if your friend did have some mental health issues (1 in 4 do) that still should not mean they can’t have contact with their children unless a medical professional at the time deemed it temporarily unsafe. 

Game playing generally requires a line to be drawn. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback