I'm Eligible for Fully Funded PV up to £10K & Replacement Boiler

Options

Comments

• staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @Skintsaver Thanks for that.

I don't know who the installers are for my area (Staffordshire), so I was wondering what panels were being installed under this scheme, in order to get an idea of size & output. I'm questioning why they stop at 6 panels, if the roof size and the £10k budget allows for a larger array?
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    staffsuk said:
    @Skintsaver Thanks for that.

I don't know who the installers are for my area (Staffordshire), so I was wondering what panels were being installed under this scheme, in order to get an idea of size & output. I'm questioning why they stop at 6 panels, if the roof size and the £10k budget allows for a larger array?
    There's quite a few that'd cover Staffs? I've lived in Stafford itself before (very nice town too), and the great thing about living there other than the town is that it's dead easy to get to almost anywhere within 2-3 hours 

They might be adding batteries to that amount? 

• staffsuk
    edited 6 October 2022 at 1:27PM
    Options
    @waqasahmed The lady I spoke to said the funding wouldn't cover storage, only the panels.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    staffsuk said:
    @waqasahmed The lady I spoke to said the funding wouldn't cover storage, only the panels.
    I dunno then. The system shouldn't be that expensive. Surely you can get more panels under £10K. You should be able to get like 16 for £7.5K (Assuming your roof supports 16 panels) 
  • staffsuk
    edited 3 December 2022 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Update: A local property company are coming to carry out the initial assessment in a couple of weeks.
  • staffsuk
    Options
    UPDATE: The property inspection was carried out, and it has resulted in a EPC rated E. I was called the following day by the company who carried out the inspection, and they said I am now eligible for the PV, but that I was also eligible for a replacement boiler under the ECO4 Flex arrangement! I apparently fulfilled the eligibility for ECO4 Flex - boiler over 7 years old / condemned (mine is circa 43 years old and dead), earning under £31k / annum, which I am. No means testing if fulfilling the eligibility. So, I'm eligible for both! They said they would do the boiler install first, then the PV.

Some here suggested I get rid of the gas, but what to do, now I'm being offered a boiler replacement?!
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Frankly, if you're getting a boiler replacement at no cost, insist on a Worcester Bosch 4000 15kW or 11 kW boiler with weather compensation or a Viessmann 200-W if they offer it. Either have incredibly low modulation and will save you substantial £ over what you have, while reducing emissions too. 

You can revisit the heat pump angle in a decade or so when the warranty runs out. 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the boiler replacement is free, it would make sense to take it.
    Until they uncouple the price if electric to the price of gas, electric will still remain more expensive than gas.

I doubt you will have a say in which boiler goes in, but if you are feeling optimistic,  you could try levering them to give you a top of the range boiler. 
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • staffsuk
    Options
    OK - so I spoke to them again today, and they've done a U-turn! Following the inspection this week, they suggested to have the boiler replaced first (ECO4 Flex scheme), then the PV panels installed under the local authority scheme.

Today they came back to say I could now only have the boiler replaced?! They suggested PV wouldn't be 'suitable' for my needs, and I wouldn't be eligible, having clearly stated I was! So I reinforced I was only really interested in the PV panels. After some discussion with a 'colleague' they came back to say I would have to choose one or the other, saying also that if I had the replacement boiler it would take my property up to band C, making me ineligible for PV. I chose PV, and await a follow up call next week.
  • yp70479
    yp70479 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you get solar and you have a water tank with an immersion heater, consider getting a diverter. There are lots of makes available - Eddie is the most common, but I have an iboost. These divert any solar power not used by the house to heat your hot water tank - just like an immersion heater does. Once your have a tank full of piping hot water the excess solar will be sent out to the grid. I think they cost about 200-300 pounds, but once installed you can get free hot water for 6 months of the year. See if they will include one with your free system, it has got to be cheaper than boiling kettles for hot water. PS It is more energy efficient to use an old fashioned hob kettle than an electric one, especially if you drink lots of tea throughout the day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback