We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Concessionary Travel Pass advice

Options

Comments

• bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay many thanks
  • jbuchanangb
    Options
    In some places a normal bus goes a long way. Liverpool to Preston all on one bus for example. Takes quite a long time, I have only used it for half the distance, i.e. Liverpool to Southport. Your auntie seems to be in the West Midlands. You can research long distance "local buses" for her!
  • bery_451
    Options
    In some places a normal bus goes a long way. Liverpool to Preston all on one bus for example. Takes quite a long time, I have only used it for half the distance, i.e. Liverpool to Southport. Your auntie seems to be in the West Midlands. You can research long distance "local buses" for her!
    Okay great, you know any good sites to search for such bus services? Isn't this market covered by national express coaches?
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    bery_451 said:
    Okay great, you know any good sites to search for such bus services? Isn't this market covered by national express coaches?
     Which bus companies run in the West Midlands?m
    Liverpool is arriva and stagecoach whos websites give details of all buses and timetables
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • bery_451
    Options
    Okay what about MegaBus?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Megabus is a privately run long distance company and you have been told already that concessionary or free fares are for local buses only.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Megabus is a privately run long distance company and you have been told already that concessionary or free fares are for local buses only.
    That's surprising as I'm fairly sure that you can use the concession card in Scotland.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    bery_451 said:
    Okay what about MegaBus?
    MegaBus is not a local bus service . 

Concessionary bus passes are useful for local travel and can also be used for local travel in another area for example if you go on holiday to another part of England you can use it when you get there.

They are not so useful for long distance travel unless you are prepared for long journeys with lots of changes .
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2022 at 3:00PM
    Options
    If she lives in the West Midlands authority area then the pass also allows rail travel on local services trains (not Arriva etc) after 9.30am within the local authority area, for example between Wolverhampton and Coventry. This also applies to the tram network. 

This is as stated in the link you provided. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback