Year13 Auditory Processing Disorder reasonable adjustment -assistive listening device - who pays?

Hi, my daughter, diagnosed with dyslexia age 15 has just had a diagnosis of Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) in Year 13 and recommended by consultant to have an assistance listening device and 2 ear pieces (around £1700)/ I contacted Local Education who said not their responsibility as she's over 16 unless she has an EHCP which would take months. I have been advised that it's a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act and she shouldn't need an EHCP as she has a diagnosis. Complicated that she is at an independent school (with a scholarship) and they would look to help but not the full amount as she only has months left at school. She will need it for uni as well so keen to get the LA to do this but unsure of rights as they are very dismissive. Any advice or ideas where I go for advice very much appreciated.. Many thanks


  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 September 2022 at 12:35PM
     Its down to the school to make reasonable adjustments but its what they deem as reasonable. They may have other solutions they want to try first. 

     The LA are right in that she would require an EHCP to get council funding but only if it was written into her EHCP. But EHCP stops when they move to uni.  If leaving school soon it might be to late to apply for an EHCP as they take months to process 
     If going to university she can apply for a disabled student allowance which might fund it. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    marcia_ said: 
     If going to university she can apply for a disabled student allowance which might fund it. 
    It would definitely be worth going for this if you're not successful sooner: I found DS1's uni was very helpful both before admission and during his course.

    Meanwhile speak to support groups for her conditions to see if there are grants which can be applied for. Also is either parent in a job which might have a charitable side to a professional membership organisation? And is either parent in a trade union? They will sometimes help.

    Another point perhaps worth making: if the school or local authority supply this, who will it belong to? When a sibling needed a portable induction loop system at work, they decided to buy it personally rather than wait for the employer to buy it. That way it was theirs to keep, to use as needed, and to keep on retirement. I realise this may not always be possible but it's an important consideration. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • TC77
    TC77 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you so much for comments, I've looked into grants but as not hearing loss most don't cover it. I also take the point about who it belongs to. Adjoining authority which is school in has a wonderful head of sensory who has offered to train staff on APD and equipment etc but as she doesn't live in the area can't provide equipment. Had hoped to loan to make sure it works for her. Have been pushing on lots of doors so hoping things may move along. Really appreciate responses.
  • Just for information. When it comes to exams, any adjustments would be down to what is classed as her normal way of working, so it might be worth speaking to the school about having a reader for her during the examinations.  It is something that she should have prior to the examination series starting though 
  • Auti
    Auti Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Have you tried local deaf group/ parent support groups to see if they have any ideas or even if there is one you could try out? Do apply for adjustments for exams now as that would also apply to school tests etc. I would also look for a facebook deaf/APD group that may be able to help, also speech therapy department as they can also deal with APD and may have leads to other places. Do you have a local charity to your area that helps people living in that area? Does she claim DLA/PIP. Does your local library have any ideas of charities or ideas? 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,281 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Does she have a part time/holiday job?  If she does, and needs this equipment for that too, the Access to Work funds might be worth investigating too.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TC77
    TC77 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you for all the posts. I've persuaded the Local authority to buy and then loan the listening aid for her which she may get on Friday. She already has extra time as aged 14/15 diagnosed with dyslexia and hopefully on Friday talking to Head of Sensory for the council where she goes to school who understands APD. One suggestion is that she does her exams on her own which she doesn't like the sound of, but will check as she's in the 'extra time' room and I think lots of people type so could be noisy. She helps coach youngsters tennis , mainly with learning difficulties, which she manages well and started volunteering in a charity shop and that seems ok. I don't think she'd qualify for PIP, it's a struggle for many to claim but will bear in mind if she finds it impacts her more beyond school. I have joined an ADP facebook group. She has 2 lots of mocks so going to encourage her to try out any suggestions she gets from the teacher so it can be her regular way of working. I think she's also allowed to wear headphones for the exam (not connected to anything).
    If others face the same issue do escalate within the local authority and I think it is starting to be more recognised. Thank you for advice.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
     That's great, my council wouldn't do such a thing and just quote EHCP. But they are stingy and refuse to asses children for all sorts if they deem them 'not disabled enough'! 

     You can then get her own one from a disabled student allowance when she moves on to uni and the council take back their 'loan'. The one from the DSA will be hers to keep. 
  • TC77
    TC77 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sorry to hear that your council wouldn't, I had to escalate and quote all their strategies etc re supporting young people to 25 to achieve etc. Lovely person from other council ( covering school) is going to train staff and talk with my daughter and me and has offered to support with DSA application. Seems very hit and miss 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards