Dehumidifiers

124»

Comments

• @legoman62 thank you that's really useful, I think we will go for it and get one. My son also has asthma and various allergies including dust & hayfever & hopefully this will also help with these a the air is being filtered 
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Another thing to consider is a portable air con with heat function. 

Typically the heat function will be 200-300% efficient. 

However, with a portable unit you will be extracting moisture from the internal air. Contrary to a split unit where moisture will be extracted on the external coils.

Our portable air con has been extracting huge amounts of water (much more than our previous dehumidifier) which is a useful side product of the heat.
    How does that water collect as they don't have a container do they? 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mine has a container with option to convert to drain pipe
  • Spies said:
    Another thing to consider is a portable air con with heat function. 

Typically the heat function will be 200-300% efficient. 

However, with a portable unit you will be extracting moisture from the internal air. Contrary to a split unit where moisture will be extracted on the external coils.

Our portable air con has been extracting huge amounts of water (much more than our previous dehumidifier) which is a useful side product of the heat.
    How does that water collect as they don't have a container do they? 
    No. I have connected ours to a hose which stains directly outside. Otherwise, a bucket.
  • Hi again @legoman62 I was just looking into this a bit more and comparing it with the permanently running extractor fans that you can fit in all wet rooms. I've read one advantage of these is that you don't need the leak points that PIV needs. I wondered where the air would leak from in our house as there are no trickle vents, open key holes, cat flaps etc. I know there will be some places air does escape but I'm wondering if they will be enough. Does your property have trickle vents? 
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 November 2022 at 10:46PM
    Hi again @legoman62 I was just looking into this a bit more and comparing it with the permanently running extractor fans that you can fit in all wet rooms. I've read one advantage of these is that you don't need the leak points that PIV needs. I wondered where the air would leak from in our house as there are no trickle vents, open key holes, cat flaps etc. I know there will be some places air does escape but I'm wondering if they will be enough. Does your property have trickle vents? 
    No, I do not have any vents, cat flaps etc. I did fit some, years ago (70mm circular) but when I covered my soffits with PVC cladding I  didn't feel the need to replace them.

16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • legoman62 said:
    Hi again @legoman62 I was just looking into this a bit more and comparing it with the permanently running extractor fans that you can fit in all wet rooms. I've read one advantage of these is that you don't need the leak points that PIV needs. I wondered where the air would leak from in our house as there are no trickle vents, open key holes, cat flaps etc. I know there will be some places air does escape but I'm wondering if they will be enough. Does your property have trickle vents? 
    No, I do not have any vents, cat flaps etc. I did fit some, years ago (70mm circular) but when I covered my soffits with PVC cladding I  didn't feel the need to replace them.

Thanks again you've been really helpful, I hope this works a well for us, fingers crossed! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback