Dehumidifiers

Comments

• markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    legoman62 said:
    I replaced my dehumidifier with one of these.
    Comes with or without a heater.
    Cheap to run and simple to install.
    Works a treat.
    https://www.i-sells.co.uk/nuaire-drimaster-eco-heat-positive-input-ventilation-unit-with-integral-400w-heater?ref=ViewTitle

Ones with heaters aren't cheap to run and just aren't worth the energy input, and that's before the recent price rises, better to just have the Gas/oil heating work a little harder.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    markin said:
    legoman62 said:
    I replaced my dehumidifier with one of these.
    Comes with or without a heater.
    Cheap to run and simple to install.
    Works a treat.
    https://www.i-sells.co.uk/nuaire-drimaster-eco-heat-positive-input-ventilation-unit-with-integral-400w-heater?ref=ViewTitle

Ones with heaters aren't cheap to run and just aren't worth the energy input, and that's before the recent price rises, better to just have the Gas/oil heating work a little harder.
    Actually, compared to dehumidifier running costs they are very cheap to run. The heater (if you have it on) is only 400W. Consumption is 1.6W (minimum setting) to 15.3W maximum.
     I know several people who had condensation problems, one running 3 dehumidifiers 24/7 and still suffering with condensation until they installed the Drimaster.

16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • legoman62 said:
    The heater (if you have it on) is only 400W.
    That's the bit that concerns me. We get condensation on windows (and sometimes walls) on cold nights, so use a dehumidifier in the evenings. The PIV units draw in very cold air from the loft, so without the heater on, isn't there a cold draught being generated? Therefore does the heater need to be on for long periods of time in winter?

6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • legoman62
    We had the same problem....condensation dripping off window ledges but not any more!
    We've had the Drimaster for 5 years now with no problems.
    We only had the heater on for the first few months and since then just use the fan.
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Bagelpeter
    Bagelpeter Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2022 at 10:44AM
    Hi, I wondered how big your house is @legoman62 ? I had a whole house ventilation system in my previous house which was fantastic. I'm now in a chalet bungalow style property, 2 bedrooms and bathroom upstairs and 2 bedrooms and main bathroom downstairs. The worst condensation is in the two downstairs bedrooms and utility room, despite my opening windows down there. I was just wondering if this one central unit will work for the downstairs as well as upstairs rooms? Interested in your experience  thanks 
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    Hi, I wondered how big your house is @legoman62 ? I had a whole house ventilation system in my previous house which was fantastic. I'm now in a chalet bungalow style property, 2 bedrooms and bathroom upstairs and 2 bedrooms and main bathroom downstairs. The worst condensation is in the two downstairs bedrooms and utility room, despite my opening windows down there. I was just wondering if this one central unit will work for the downstairs as well as upstairs rooms? Interested in your experience  thanks 
    Have you checked that there isn’t a problem with leaking underfloor central leaking pipes? A lot of properties built in the 1970s with the pipes embedded in concrete floors suffered from this. 
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • I haven't read all the replies so I might be repeating someone, however here are my experiences.

If you are turning the heat down then you're more likely to experience damp and mould especially if you are letting wet clothes dry indoors.

The dehumidifier will dry your clothes and avoid them smelling of mildew (or whatever that stale milk smell is when you let something dry too slowly). It will also dry the air which avoid mould and damp issues.

My clothes take about 16 hours to dry in the corner of the dining room/play room and there are no damp issues in that room. :D 
  • JKenH said:
    Have you checked that there isn’t a problem with leaking underfloor central leaking pipes? A lot of properties built in the 1970s with the pipes embedded in concrete floors suffered from this. 
    It's worth a look. The house is built on a slope so there is a big void underneath those bedrooms rather than the pipes being in a concrete floor. I'll try and have a check down there at the weekend
  • 2nd_time_buyer
    2nd_time_buyer Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2022 at 12:58PM
    Another thing to consider is a portable air con with heat function. 

Typically the heat function will be 200-300% efficient. 

However, with a portable unit you will be extracting moisture from the internal air. Contrary to a split unit where moisture will be extracted on the external coils.

Our portable air con has been extracting huge amounts of water (much more than our previous dehumidifier) which is a useful side product of the heat.
  • legoman62
    Hi,
    We live in a 3 bedroom 1970s bungalow with a floor area of just over 80 square metres.
    We had exactly the same problem you have...even with a dehumidifier running for over 12 hours daily. Ideally the unit needs to be sited near the centre of the property.

One of my relatives lives in a very large 1920s bungalow and had damp problems even with 3 dehumidifiers running! She installed 1 Dri-master and is now dampless😂🤣
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback