Dehumidifiers

Comments

• Isn't it the case that a modern tumble drier with a heat pump is using pretty much the same method of drying as a dehumidifier? In which case isn't it likely to be more efficient as it's all concentrated in relatively small tub?  Mine dries a full load of washing for about 1.5 kWh (cupboard dry). How does that compare? 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Isn't it the case that a modern tumble drier with a heat pump is using pretty much the same method of drying as a dehumidifier? In which case isn't it likely to be more efficient as it's all concentrated in relatively small tub?  Mine dries a full load of washing for about 1.5 kWh (cupboard dry). How does that compare? 
    Most dryers - even "modern" ones - are still vented conventional ones.
    But yes, the energy savings vs. a heat pump dryer will be small or zero.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Appliances Direct are selling 54 Heat Pump models starting at just of £300 compared to 26 vented and 60 condensing. So heat pumps are nowhere as unusual as they were only a couple of years ago.  Hopefully vented and condensing will be banned altogether before too long 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    QrizB said:
    There's a small benefit in that you also recover the heat of evaporation from the condensed water. IIRC for a typical 200W dehumidifier this can be around 60 watts, so a space heating COP of 1.3 or so.
    Can you elaborate on the science behind this or throw me a link as I'm interested in this side effect. 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 September 2022 at 8:11PM
    Spies said:
    QrizB said:
    There's a small benefit in that you also recover the heat of evaporation from the condensed water. IIRC for a typical 200W dehumidifier this can be around 60 watts, so a space heating COP of 1.3 or so.
    Can you elaborate on the science behind this or throw me a link as I'm interested in this side effect. 
    Sure, no problems.
    When water evaporates it takes heat from the environment. This is why sweating makes you colder, and is how evaporative cooling ("swamp coolers") work. Evaporating 1 litre of water needs about 2.3 MJ of energy - just under two-thirds of a kWh.
    If you vent the humid air from the house, this energy goes with it and is lost.
    When water condenses it gives that heat out again. And condensing water is what dehumidifiers do.
    While dehumidifiers claim huge water removal rates (this one for example claims 20 litres a day) in practice you'll usually get far less, maybe two litres a day. Two litres of condensate represents about 1.3kWh of recovered evaporation energy.
    So you'll run your 200 watt dehumidifier for 24 hrs, using 4.8kWh of electricity, and get (4.8+1.3) 6.1kWh of heat back from the system. That's a COP of (6.1/4.8) 1.27.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 September 2022 at 1:36AM
    paul991 said:
    Has any one came across a single room through the ceiling mvhr unit
    https://www.justfans.co.uk/100-single-room-mvhr-p-3106.html

Here's a video on a larger one from Panasonic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45J1hC5IQ0
  • MVHR if you can have it installed, I looked into it and thought, that's a lot of work! 

We have a dehumidifier for the colder months, dries a full load in 24 hrs. In our old house we used to have a PIV unit(Passive Input Ventilation), which helped a lot with condensation around windows. 

I have literally put a new PIV unit up yesterday - Nuair-Eco. 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • MVHR if you can have it installed, I looked into it and thought, that's a lot of work! 

We have a dehumidifier for the colder months, dries a full load in 24 hrs. In our old house we used to have a PIV unit(Passive Input Ventilation), which helped a lot with condensation around windows. 

I have literally put a new PIV unit up yesterday - Nuair-Eco. 
    I’ve had a look at these, but didn’t get around to buying. Did you work out the running costs?
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,542 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I replaced my dehumidifier with one of these.
    Comes with or without a heater.
    Cheap to run and simple to install.
    Works a treat.
    https://www.i-sells.co.uk/nuaire-drimaster-eco-heat-positive-input-ventilation-unit-with-integral-400w-heater?ref=ViewTitle
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • @Magnitio I used to have PIV unit in my old home which was installed in 2015 and had a integrated heater, which i had put on a time for a while but turned it off.  AFAIK it was 15w/hr max and the current one ranges from 1.6 - 15.3 w and I'm running it half way.  
    PIV units will not help in drying clothes or dealing with wet rooms,  they are very good for houses which suffer from damp, steamed up windows and stale air. 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback