Retired, Universal Credit

I am retired aged 71 with a partner who is 55.  I receive solely my state pension.  For ease of example I will use approx figures.  My pension is say, £730 per month, I have been offered work photographing rugby matches at £50 each on a self employed basis, so October will give me 2 matches, total £100, my expenses, as per gov.uk for car, fuel, tax insurance etc., my website, Photoshop and home expenses, heating, rent, lighting etc. for one room, 'the office' would total £260, showing a loss of £160.  My question is, will my loss of £160 be offset against my state pension for my UC assessment, therefore showing a net income of £730 less £160 equalling £570.  Thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Any losses arising from your self employment can be carried forward from month to month when calculating your earnings . They cannot be offset against your unearned income such as your pension.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti said:
    Any losses arising from your self employment can be carried forward from month to month when calculating your earnings . They cannot be offset against your unearned income such as your pension.
    Okay thanks for that but what do you mean by carried forward each month.  Assuming, for example sake it is the same for November, income £100, expenses £260, net loss of £160 plus £160 from October, where does that leave me?  Thanks
  • calcotti
    edited 23 September 2022 at 1:47PM
    I meant that if you have a loss in one month you can use the loss to offset profit in later months.

Lots of guidance here.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Yeah, I understand that but it won't help me at all. I have been offered work until the end of the season, 11 matches.  I will never have more than two matches (£100) in a month, so carrying forward a loss is not beneficial.  Seems unfair, UC can use unearned income when calculating my total income for assessment but I can't offset a loss against it. Thanks again. 
  • calcotti said:
    I will never have more than two matches (£100) in a month, so carrying forward a loss is not beneficial. 
    So you are never going to have a profit. Why should UC pay you extra money for what is therefore effectively an expensive hobby rather than self employment.
    Possibly not but I was a pro photographer before retiring earlier this year, shooting Premier league, so I would say it was more than an expensive hobby.  Life has changed, work is hard to come by and I have been forced to claim UC. 
  • calcotti
    Silver_Simon said:.  Life has changed, work is hard to come by and I have been forced to claim UC. 
    But you appear to be saying that you will always make a loss which means it can’t, to my mind, be described as employment.
  • calcotti said:
    Silver_Simon said:.  Life has changed, work is hard to come by and I have been forced to claim UC. 
    But you appear to be saying that you will always make a loss which means it can’t, to my mind, be described as employment.
    It is income though, what should I do, say nothing and potentially be in trouble with the IR?  It's either taxable income or it's not.  
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,608 Forumite
    calcotti said:
    It is income though, what should I do, say nothing and potentially be in trouble with the IR?  It's either taxable income or it's not.  

How is it income if you are losing £160/month? That is not an income, that is a loss.
    My advice would be to decline the offer. Either they need to pay you enough to actually make an income after your expenses, or it's not a financially viable venture.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    He isn't losing money, it's just what can be claimed as an allowable expense for tax purposes etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback