thanks for the answers

Options

Comments

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, peteuk.

But yes, I do sometimes feel that the more I'm given the more I spend, the more debt I get into... So yes, some help wouldn't go amiss.

Now I just hope I make it through my HB review!
    I probably was perplexed by your situation. TBH.

But your here for help, slightly off topic until you face up to the cause of debt you will continue to use it.   Debt is addictive, I know I took loans out for the sake of it, rather than needing it and used the money for things I didn’t need. 

Getting through the HB review will be a good start, but take it as a warning that whilst in debt your and reliant on HB, parents your not far from loosing it. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • turnitround
    Options
    Apart from the obvious that although you are secure in your property at the moment things could change very quickly. My brother had been in his private rental for 18 years and was so certain he was secure that just 18 months ago he replaced al the flooring with carpet upstairs and laminated downstairs. 
    3 weeks after the jobs were finished his landlady died and her only living relative, a nephew gave my brother notice as he wanted to sell the house.

If you are in your mid 40s then its possible that your parents must be of an age where they may have care needs in the not too distant future. Is it sensible for them to be spending thousands of their money renovating someone elses property? Wouldn't it be better to just have the one flat you live in so your parents could help you financially rather than helping the landlord to increase his property value.

• Kim1965
    Kim1965 Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why live in london? You are not tied to a job as such.
     Having  made the flat lovely by doing it up with your parents money, are you worried the rent might go up?
     The situation is bizzare, what would your entitlement be if they gave you 20 k rather than drip feeding money.?
    I guess the council will take a good look at this because it just comes across as iffy. 
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2022 at 2:36PM
    Options
    peteuk said:
    Is it just me or am I missing the point, your claiming HB but subletting another flat! 

I suppose the rent you get for subletting it, pays the rent on it...

For me you've got yourself into a crazy spin of debt, subletting, parent's "gifting" money to live off, self-employed part time work and renovating someone else's house/flat. 

As I have previously noted, use the HB check as an alarm bell, hopefully youll get thorough it ok and then take a deep look at what you can do.  If it doesn't go your way, then as you've suggested its back to your old bedroom.

What really happens when the check doesn't go your way.  What do you actually loose?  Your flat, the money you've spent, the freedom the flat brings to you and you work... 

I'm subletting TWO other flats! This makes me £400 a month gross, probably £300 net.   All of which is declared.  This is my self-employment.

I just don't see any way forward since living outside of London is absolutely inconceivable to me.  And nobody else is going to rent me a flat.   So this situation will just have to play itself out, whether that's in 2 months, 5 years, or 25.  Maybe that's also depression/anxiety/agoraphobia speaking.  But also being in a situation that's too good to leave, however bad it is for me, too.
    Please don't take my comments as having a dig, I’m not but will apologise if it comes across that way.  

I really do think your life style (chosen or not) is out of control. I totally understand the debt cycle and worked hard to get out of it, some of which was out of my control, some of which was within my control and the knock on effect is still hurting us now.  

Anything can and will happen in the future, good, bad or indifferent but because of your life style there is little to guard you from anything adverse.  It’s fuelling itself and not in a good way IMO.  

Depression is difficult to break, with the HB review I am sure its not helping each other, throw in the debt etc and it becomes difficult to see a way out.

Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Kim1965
    Kim1965 Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It seems the landlord is taking advantage of you and in turn your parents. This seems totally unfair on them. Good luck with your review. 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     If the landlord does at some point ask you the leave and evict you dont forget to return the properties to their original state. 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Kim1965 said:
    It seems the landlord is taking advantage of you and in turn your parents. This seems totally unfair on them. Good luck with your review. 

Yes I do agree that the landlord has allowed this situation to develop as it suits him, too. 

Although he does not realise that I am claiming HB.
    Is it wise to be keeping this a secret when your entire life situation hangs on this arrangement continuing?
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     If the landlord does at some point ask you the leave and evict you dont forget to return the properties to their original state. 

Why?  Landlord cares nothing about the condition of the property so long as it generates rent, which it has done for 25 years continuously (half of that before my time). No inventories were ever done.  Any alteration/modification (e.g. ripping out and replacing a kitchen...) is implicitly okay with him.

One hopefully long-distant day when the whole house is sold, most likely some well-off couple will buy it and spend £150k+ turning it back into a family home.

If course it us because it benefits him in not having to pay for it himself and makes the properties more attractive to buyers. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback