Running Away From EDF - There Is Hope!!!

Options
GunJack
GunJack Posts: 11,683 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Been stuck with EDF for my gas since Zog went under, but today, Shell (who have had my leccy since green went under) have started a switch to bring my gas to them!!! Escaping EDF is a nice feeling :) 
......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D

Comments

• K2rool
    K2rool Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GunJack said:
    Been stuck with EDF for my gas since Zog went under, but today, Shell (who have had my leccy since green went under) have started a switch to bring my gas to them!!! Escaping EDF is a nice feeling :) 
    Any reason why escape from EDF, is it the six month billing cycle.
  • GunJack
    Options
    K2rool said:
    GunJack said:
    that's part of it.... and they're just generally rubbish :D

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • K2rool
    K2rool Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2022 at 4:02PM
    Options
    GunJack said:
    K2rool said:
    GunJack said:
    that's part of it.... and they're just generally rubbish :D
    I left EDF too earlier this week to Octopus, mainly it was due to bill ever 6 months.
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    I must be one of the few people on here who doesn't have a problem with EDF.

Yes their billing is poor but I haven't found them any better or worse than any of the other big suppliers, and the only time I have had to speak with them since moving from Zog (to change to monthly whole amount direct debit) it was quick and painless.

It just goes to show that everyone has a different experience.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 669 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Yes their billing is poor but I haven't found them any better or worse than any of the other big suppliers, and the only time I have had to speak with them since moving from Zog (to change to monthly whole amount direct debit) it was quick and painless.

I agree, I’ve never had an issue with them either. Some people have got nothing better to do than look for things to moan about, not just with EDF but seems to be a common theme with all the big suppliers 
  • Mobtr said:

I agree, I’ve never had an issue with them either. Some people have got nothing better to do than look for things to moan about, not just with EDF but seems to be a common theme with all the big suppliers 
    I think it's more that people don't usually go out of their way to say "this supplier was fine", but they will be sure to speak up when something goes wrong.  That's a problem with all public reviews of things, particularly on a forum where people come to get advice when there have been issues or confusion.
  • GunJack
    Options
    Mobtr said:
    I guarantee that's not me!! :D:D 

But when you've got to hang on "live" chat for hours to do something very simple that most supplier's websites let you do, along with 6-monthly billing and some other inconveniences, it all mounts up to pretty poor customer service and I don't have time to waste on things like that tbh...

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm also very happy with EDF for electricity. I've been with a dozen different suppliers over the years and it is really hard to tell the difference. I think my toaster is a bit faster with EDF, probably because they use a higher mix of nuclear electricity which did worry me but I can't taste it.

The EDF gas smells just as bad as all the others do, I'm yet to find a supplier that doesn't stink.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,700 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was beginning to think that I was the only person who's dealings with EDF have been easy and seamless. As an example, here's a series of exchanges I had when I wanted them to refund a credit balance:

Welcome to EDF Energy Online Customer Service Team. You're chatting with Soumyadip. How can I help you?
    Soumyadip
    - 10:29

Hi - I have just changed direct debit to pay whole amount monthly. There is credit balance on account I would like refunded please.
    Me
    - 10:30

I would try my best to help you on this but before that could I please take your full name, 1st line of address, postcode for security purposes?
    Soumyadip
    - 10:31

Sure <my name address etc.>
    Me
    - 10:31

Thank you for sharing your details. Your account has been identified.
    I can see the you have credit of 187.38 GBP now. Do you want to refund the whole amount to your bank?
    Soumyadip
    - 10:33

Yes please
    Me
    - 10:33

Thank you. Please allow me a moment.
    Thank you for staying connected.
    I have processed for the refund of the total amount. You will be getting the anount with 5 to 7 working days.
    Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Soumyadip
    - 10:36

As you can see it was all completely painless - in fact the refund was in my account 3 days later. In a moment of trigger-happy stupidity I cancelled the direct debit and setting it up again was every bit as painless, as was getting a smart meter with a faulty displayed swapped out. So no complaints from me. Not meaning to play down the frustration that other folks have experienced, but thought it was worth posting this to provide a bit of balance.

• jungle_jane
    Options
    I just rang EDF and ask them to put me on monthly billing instead of the 6 monthly...which they agreed to do.  They said they would send a text monthly for my readings and i would be billed monthly.   I still have the same direct debit - are others not able to do the same?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback