We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Travel allowance
kimsin
Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi, I currently work picking up, delivering & serving school meals. As I use my own car to pick up the school meals from a different school, I get £12.05 a day from my employer for diesel & the use of my own car, I'm paid for 7 miles i believe. My question is should this travel allowance be included in my total pay for universal credits? I know this may be that my employer needs to report it to hmrc differently, as thats where universal credits get their info from, but before I speak to my employer I need an answer first. I spoke to universal credits who said to ask hmrc, so I spoke to hmrc & they said to ask universal credits. My wages are usually around the £750 per month, but £250-£300 of that are the travel allowance. Should universal credit take into account the whole £700 or just my salary thats only £400?
0
Comments
-
I maybe should have said also that the allowance is separate on my wage slip, down as " school meals"0
-
It depends on whether or not the payment is taxable. It sounds like it should be, as £12.05 is more than 7 miles x 45p (the approved mileage rate HMRC allow you to be paid tax/ni free). You'd have to be travelling almost 27 miles between schools per day for it to possibly appear otherwise.
So it looks to me like the full £700 should be used for the wages deduction calculation.
What figure are UC using?0 -
Thank you for replying. I think i actually get £12.15 a day, 7 miles @ 45p & £9 a day for something else? The use of my car maybe? I shall have to check with payroll. The whole lot goes through as taxable pay, though I don't earn enough in a year to pay tax. UC use the total ammount for their calculations.0
-
If the employer is putting it through as taxable income, then it will count as income for UC.kimsin said:Thank you for replying. I think i actually get £12.15 a day, 7 miles @ 45p & £9 a day for something else? The use of my car maybe? I shall have to check with payroll. The whole lot goes through as taxable pay, though I don't earn enough in a year to pay tax. UC use the total ammount for their calculations.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
If you do drive 7 miles between schools each day then that £3.15 per day should really be put on a separate line on your payslip so it can go through as non-taxable. But there could be a reason payroll think it should be taxable; you'll have to ask them, or it might be written in your contract.kimsin said:Thank you for replying. I think i actually get £12.15 a day, 7 miles @ 45p & £9 a day for something else? The use of my car maybe? I shall have to check with payroll. The whole lot goes through as taxable pay, though I don't earn enough in a year to pay tax. UC use the total ammount for their calculations.0 -
You could put £750 wages and £300 expenses, leaving £400 income. But you'd need to check with your employer or HMRC.kimsin said:
My wages are usually around the £750 per month, but £250-£300 of that are the travel allowance. Should universal credit take into account the whole £700 or just my salary thats only £400?0 -
OP doesn't 'put' anything. As they are employed UC will use the information reported to them through RTI by HMRC.tifo said:
You could put £750 wages and £300 expenses, leaving £400 income. But you'd need to check with your employer or HMRC.kimsin said:
My wages are usually around the £750 per month, but £250-£300 of that are the travel allowance. Should universal credit take into account the whole £700 or just my salary thats only £400?Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.2 -
As you get a cah sum it looks like it comes under this
Round sum allowances
If you provide a set amount of cash for employees regardless of how they spend it, this is known as a ‘round sum allowance’.
This counts as earnings, so you’ll need to:
- add the full amount of the round sum allowance to the employee’s other earnings when deducting and paying Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax through payroll
- add the amount of the round sum allowance - minus any specific business expenses covered by it - to the employee’s other earnings when deducting and paying Class 1 National Insurance through payroll
https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-cash-sum-payments/round-sum-allowances0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards