Warranty problem with Ebay seller.

Hi all
I bought a blender and grinder pack from Ebay a couple of months ago. The grinder is now faulty. Return is not possible through Ebay and the seller just quotes Ebay 30 day rule at me. I thought electrical items had a 12 month warranty in the UK? Am I wrong?

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    27.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Warranty is different to your consumer rights.  Was the seller a genuine retailer of the product ?
  • edited 21 September at 8:28PM
    Buster_DanogBuster_Danog Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 21 September at 8:28PM
    I would have thought that was the manufacturer's warranty, but I guess the seller would need to be approved as a seller by some distributor or manufacturer. The only other possiblity is that the seller was given a warranty when they bought the item which could then be passed on to you. You could only find that out by asking the seller how and when they bought the item.
  • sun-n-moonsun-n-moon Forumite
    131 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They are a regular eBay business seller. Probably sell hundreds of these things.
  • DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    600 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sun-n-moon said:
    I thought electrical items had a 12 month warranty in the UK? Am I wrong?
    Yes

Your statutory rights are that the item conforms to the contract which would mean its of reasonable quality, free from defect etc relative to what it is and how much was paid for it. There is no formal set period when this ends but your right to take action ends after 6 years but that doesn't mean every type of item is expected to last 6 years. 

As the item is under 6 months old then its assumed to have been faulty from the beginning unless the retailer can prove its reasonable wear & tear or its damage caused by your miss-use of the item. Its up to them if the repair, replace or refund though you can express a preference which they should consider unless one of the other options is materially cheaper for them.

Warranties are above and beyond your statutory rights and can be as long/short as the giver of the warranty wants them to be and similarly can include lots of conditions, like only being valid if purchased from an authorised dealer etc.