Draught Excluder

Options
I made my draught excluder out of 2 cardboard rolls the width of the door.  These are slipped into a material cover which is slipped under the door so that they fit either side of the door.  This  has the advantage of moving  with the door so you don't have to keep moving it.

Comments

• Brywalker
    Options
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,570 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Nice work @Kathryn_Fin. I'd love to see a photo of it, if you have the time to upload one.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can do the same with 2 rolled up bath mats and some elastic bands, it's also washable 
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • justwantedtosay
    Options
    If you put a draught excluder on the side the door opens away from you don't need to keep moving it - interior doors only, obviously. I just fold up an old towel and leave it in place all winter unless royalty is visiting. It fills the gap far better than a bought one if you push it well into the angle of door and floor and stepping over it very soon becomes second nature.
  • wittynamegoeshere
    wittynamegoeshere Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2022 at 2:06PM
    Options
    If you have any kind of fire that burns anything - gas or any kind of solid fuel (or a very old boiler) then any draughts may be needed to feed it fresh air.  Sometimes doors deliberately have a gap under them for this very purpose - it's not because the bloke who fitted it couldn't measure properly.  Also vents may be fitted in external walls for the same reason.  If a fire is used in a sealed room then this can result in the flue stopping or reversing (pulling fumes into the room) and/or production of toxic carbon monoxide (due to incomplete combustion resulting from a lack of oxygen).
    Draughts should only be eliminated where nothing at all is being burnt, e.g. if only radiators or electric heaters are being used.
    Sorry for (again) being the voice of doom, but you have to be careful you're not inadvertently creating a safety issue.
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    May I add to this that a curtain across my porch door into the lounge made a big difference last winter, and also in the summer when it made the lounge cooler as the sun didn't shine in.  Not even a thermal curtain either.  Curtain and rail came to about £60-£70 in B&Q, thinking of getting one for my door in the kitchen this year as the kitchen with tiles gets cold.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    This thread has reminded me that it’s reaching the time of year when the larder door fraught excluder will need to be reinstated. (It’s as simple as an old bathmat rolled up tightly and secures with a couple of magnetic rubber ties.) 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills