🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Silly personal allowance question.

Options
I feel like the answer is £16k & that it's obvious, but while I wait on a response from AJ Bell, you guys are generally quicker & I'm currently trying to consolidate accounts.

Personal allowance: £20k.
You put in a LISA: £4k
Allowance left: £16k.

You want to put the remainder in to a S&S ISA.

So can you put £16k in the S&S ISA or can you only put £15k due to the bonus of £1k?

As said, I feel like the answer will be £16k because the £1k wasn't your money, the government put it in.

But for the sake of asking a silly question, I'd rather ask & get it right then guess & go over the allowance by £1k.

Not only that but I tend to have to ask banks twice lately because the first reply seems to be some auto-generated thing that never answers the question.

Comments

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are correct. The answer is £16k.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are correct. The answer is £16k.
    Thank you.

One of those moments where you're sure you're right but there's that niggling doubt that has you saying, but what if I'm not. :)
  • B0bbyEwing
    Options
    With the Lifetime ISA - 

when it comes to a house purchase, can you combine pots for your deposit?

That may be cash L-ISA with one provider in one tax year & cash L-ISA with a different provider in a different tax year.

Or it may be a cash L-ISA with one provider & a S&S L-ISA with a different provider.

Or can you only use one pot as your deposit?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2022 at 5:27PM
    Options
    With the Lifetime ISA - 

when it comes to a house purchase, can you combine pots for your deposit?

That may be cash L-ISA with one provider in one tax year & cash L-ISA with a different provider in a different tax year.

Or it may be a cash L-ISA with one provider & a S&S L-ISA with a different provider.

Or can you only use one pot as your deposit?
    Your conveyancer can make multiple withdrawals, so having the money spread between more than one LISA is not likely to be an issue. I suppose they might charge you a fee for each one.
  • B0bbyEwing
    Options
    masonic said:

Your conveyancer can make multiple withdrawals, so having the money spread between more than one LISA is not likely to be an issue. I suppose they might charge you a fee for each one.
    Handy to know that it's possible, even if you get charged.

Can you transfer from L-ISA to L-ISA without it impacting on anything?

I know you can transfer to a L-ISA from a cash ISA or a S&S ISA for example but it forms part of that years contributions so a bit of a nuisance if you've already put that years £4k in or if you're wanting to transfer more than £4k.

But if it's already in a L-ISA wrapper, even if that wrapper is elsewhere, I wonder if you can do it then without it forming part of that years pay-in?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    masonic said:

I know you can transfer to a L-ISA from a cash ISA or a S&S ISA for example but it forms part of that years contributions so a bit of a nuisance if you've already put that years £4k in or if you're wanting to transfer more than £4k.

But if it's already in a L-ISA wrapper, even if that wrapper is elsewhere, I wonder if you can do it then without it forming part of that years pay-in?
    Yes, you can transfer from LISA to LISA in the same way that other types of ISA can be transferred. In practice, some LISAs do not accept transfers, and some providers have systems that prevent those over the age of 40 opening a new LISA for the purpose of transferring in.
  • B0bbyEwing
    Options
    masonic said:
    masonic said:

Yes, you can transfer from LISA to LISA in the same way that other types of ISA can be transferred. In practice, some LISAs do not accept transfers, and some providers have systems that prevent those over the age of 40 opening a new LISA for the purpose of transferring in.
    Thanks.

The age thing is no problem here as I'm asking for someone who's a few years off 40 yet. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure