I scratched a car reversing out of the bay, what next?

Options
I scratched someone's car in the car park yesterday, left a note. They phoned me and it's a company car which they are returning before Christmas. 

They were grateful for the honesty and proposed to leave it unless they incurred a sizable bill upon return of the car in a couple of months time. 

The damage was X2 small (maybe 2 inch long, thin) scratches on the rear bumper. I have a photo of this. 

I said I would have to think about their proposal and get back to them, I am here seeking advice ref the best course of action which minimises the financial impact to myself and the hassle for both parties.

Comments

• Barmy_Army_92
    Options
    Photo of damage
  • HampshireH
    Options
    I scratched someone's car in the car park yesterday, left a note. They phoned me and it's a company car which they are returning before Christmas. 

They were grateful for the honesty and proposed to leave it unless they incurred a sizable bill upon return of the car in a couple of months time. 

The damage was X2 small (maybe 2 inch long, thin) scratches on the rear bumper. I have a photo of this. 

I said I would have to think about their proposal and get back to them, I am here seeking advice ref the best course of action which minimises the financial impact to myself and the hassle for both parties.
    If you don't tell your insurers you could be left with that sizable bill
    Can you afford it?

It would be too vague for my liking
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Polish and elbow grease and it will be hidden well enough.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it’s a lease car there could be a bill to pay.  I think you need to tell your insurance company so they are prepared.
  • Barmy_Army_92
    Options
    comeandgo said:
    If it’s a lease car there could be a bill to pay.  I think you need to tell your insurance company so they are prepared.
    I would be quite happy to notify the insurance today (which would be within 24hrs) if this provided the benefit of being able to rely on them for a claim I could not afford to pay in two months time (if that situation arose). 

However, would this automatically increase my future premiums even if I decided not to claim? 
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    that's minor enough to be repaired by a 'Chips Away' type outfit. Why not get a quote from them and pay for the repair now. Reckon on around £150ish
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

However, would this automatically increase my future premiums even if I decided not to claim? 
    Yes, but by how much we can't tell you.

It changes their assessment of the risk you pose, the reality that you will probably take extra care from now on and are less likely  to do it again doesn't matter.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,616 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The other party will of course be grateful for your honesty, which is to be praised :) . I knew someone in their position and when he went to his dealer to enquire about the repair cost (it was a bit more substantial than yours), the dealer first commented that of all the requests they get for quotes, about one a year is under such circumstances. As @tonygold suggests, offer to pay for it to be done by someone like Chips Away now, telling the third party you'd prefer it to be dealt with that way than them (and therefore you) getting hit by a bigger bill at Christmas.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victor2 said:
    The other party will of course be grateful for your honesty, which is to be praised :) . I knew someone in their position and when he went to his dealer to enquire about the repair cost (it was a bit more substantial than yours), the dealer first commented that of all the requests they get for quotes, about one a year is under such circumstances. As @tonygold suggests, offer to pay for it to be done by someone like Chips Away now, telling the third party you'd prefer it to be dealt with that way than them (and therefore you) getting hit by a bigger bill at Christmas.
    But surely you can’t dictate how a repair is done?  I had a lease car and they are brutal on any chips or faults that are out with that allowed in the lease conditions.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,616 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    comeandgo said:
    victor2 said:
    But surely you can’t dictate how a repair is done?  I had a lease car and they are brutal on any chips or faults that are out with that allowed in the lease conditions.
    You are just dealing with the person using the leased car. A simple repair like that should be impossible to spot, so when the car is returned, the leasing company won't pick up on it and impose a charge.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback