Are points calculated per transaction or per statement?

Options
Been looking for ages but haven't been able to find a clear answer for this.

Was looking at the Tesco credit card which pays 1 point per £8 spent in non Tesco stores, my question is are the points calculated per transaction or per statement (i.e. total amount spent in a month).

As in if I buy 10 items for £7 each am I getting 0 points (because no transaction was over £8) or am I getting 8 points (£70 / 8 = 8.75)?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2022 at 9:47AM
    Options
    It's per transaction.  So yes, if you make lots of transactions for £7.99 each then you earn no points.  When I'm buying petrol, for instance, if I'm not filling up then I put in a multiple of £8 - so I'll buy £48 or £56 pounds-worth for instance, to make the most of the points.  I know it's peanuts at the end of the day, really, but every little helps, as they say :smile:
  • gowerc
    Options
    If that's true then the break point makes a pretty big difference on expected return. As in Tesco in particular with such a big cut off of £8 means you are likely to be quite badly short changed compared to say Amazon with a break point of £2 I think :(
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    I know Tesco is probably not one of the best in terms of rewards, but it is essentially free money - and for me, it's something that is actually useful for me (as opposed to air miles, for instance).  But there are dozens of reward cards out there - it's really just a case of finding one that gives rewards that are useful to you and going for that one.  I don't think any of them will make you rich, but if you can get even a little something back in exchange for everyday spending, it's better than nothing.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,533 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2022 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have their (now closed to new applicants) Premium card which is 'multiples of £4' outside Tesco; but even so I have a different cashback card for £3.99 and lower transactions.

I honestly don't think I could justify the normal 'everywhere else' rate; best case it's one eighth of a Clubcard point per £. I tend to value Clubcard points as 2.5p each so the effective rate is 0.3125%, but that would rely on every transaction being a multiple of £8 which is vanishingly unlikely. More likely you'd get around 0.2-0.25% effectively; at that point you may as well just take one of the straight forward 0.25% cashback options or 0.3% at Asda.
  • gowerc
    Options
    I ended up going with the Halifax 0.25-0.5% cashback card. Seemed like the best offer to me outside of amex. We were on John Lewis but they are moving providers and offering a worse rate now :(
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,533 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    gowerc said:
    I ended up going with the Halifax 0.25-0.5% cashback card. Seemed like the best offer to me outside of amex. We were on John Lewis but they are moving providers and offering a worse rate now :(

Same rate as the previous product (which itself changed to 0.25/1.25% back from 0.5/1% a couple of years ago).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback