Asda Substitutions... Watch out!

Options
2»

Comments

• witchwood
    Options
    Brie said:
    Must admit I still haven't succumbed to online supermarket shopping and haven't yet heard a good argument for it.  OK - yes during covid or if someone's mobility was such they were completely unable to get to shops.  But the vast majority I think it's just a convenience for which they are willing to pay extra. 

I know a number of posters will be able to or at least want to justify using this service but so far it's a no from me particularly when I hear about so much dissatisfaction.
    Time. I just don't have the time or inclination to go. Our nearest supermarket is nearly 20 miles away and so the cost of actually driving there to getting it delivered is somewhat a saving in itself. All I'm saying is check and double check your subs. They say that any subs "will be of equal or greater value" and that is clearly not the case. Yes, I should perhaps of checked when delivered, or checked the email that came in literally 5 mins before delivery... but that is going back to the reason why I do online shopping and time! 
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2022 at 9:31AM
    Options
    They pretty much all do this now.

When this first became a thing about a decade ago, the picker was allowed to choose what they felt was a reasonable sub and the price match would refund if the sub costs more.  As an example order smart price beans, then subbed for heinz baked beans.

However they seem to have stopped allowing that, and now will guve you what doesnt lose them money, there is still typically a price match to prevent you paying extra bu t is very rare that will be needed as they usually wont allow the picker to do that.

As an example I ordered Morrisons cheap large Tropical juice in the summer, and they subbed it for a carton which was double the price per lite.  Almost same price but much less quantity.  I tried to argue they need to match the quantity and then price match it, but they wouldnt have it, it is what it is sadly.
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2022 at 3:53PM
    Options
    I have used ASDA online pretty much weekly...using the midwwek delivery pass which is good value
    I love shopping online as i hate going into a store

They have been pretty good to be fair
    The website is quite good - easy to use and clear to follow
    The updated order email is good and handy to check what is missing if any 
    The drivers have been good and patient...although i am pretty quick and getting my order out
    The problem i have is more and more website unavailable items - which is a growing problem
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    It is and whats sad about it the supermarkets dont seem to recognise it as a problem.  As you said its been gradually getting worse over time.
  • Xs500
    Xs500 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ASDA shoppers receiving substitutions should consider themselves fortunate, even if their subs may have been neither a good match nor good value.
    In my ASDA order today 28% of items were unavailable with no substitutes provided. (Yes, substitutes allowed box was checked for these items)

During the covid period ASDA home deliveries were a much appreciated lifeline, reliable, of reasonable quality and price.
    However latterly there has been a significant reduction in service, quality and value (particularly reduced number of offers). Annoyingly, soon after receiving one short delivery I drove to the same ASDA store that failed to supply the full order to find their shelves plentifully stocked with my missing items.
    Decided that, if I had to get the car out anyway, I might as well try Aldi. Alternated between ASDA and Aldi. Found Aldi quality excellent, stock availability good, prices very reasonable, service OK, (somewhat quirky checkout system). So have now decided goodbye ASDA deliveries except for heavy items and keeping an eye out for their occasional worthwhile offers on wine and beer.  

• J63320
    J63320 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s all very well to be able to return the 3-pack of expensive whatever-it-is that has been substituted for the cheaper 6-pack, but if you’ve actually run out of whatever-it-is and can’t get to the shops for a few days, what are you supposed to do then? I’d rather they at least brought the right quantity, even if I had to pay more, provided I still had the option of returning some or all of them.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    Xs500 said:
    ASDA shoppers receiving substitutions should consider themselves fortunate, even if their subs may have been neither a good match nor good value.
    In my ASDA order today 28% of items were unavailable with no substitutes provided. (Yes, substitutes allowed box was checked for these items)

During the covid period ASDA home deliveries were a much appreciated lifeline, reliable, of reasonable quality and price.
    However latterly there has been a significant reduction in service, quality and value (particularly reduced number of offers). Annoyingly, soon after receiving one short delivery I drove to the same ASDA store that failed to supply the full order to find their shelves plentifully stocked with my missing items.
    Decided that, if I had to get the car out anyway, I might as well try Aldi. Alternated between ASDA and Aldi. Found Aldi quality excellent, stock availability good, prices very reasonable, service OK, (somewhat quirky checkout system). So have now decided goodbye ASDA deliveries except for heavy items and keeping an eye out for their occasional worthwhile offers on wine and beer.  

Aldi is so good that you have to go there to get food, dont see a delivery service, of course going in a store usually gives better availability and choices.

What I find interesting is that availability on deliveroo is so much higher than the supermarkets own websites, even when delivered from the same store, which suggests wither the website management is done poorly, or they deliberately withhold availability to manipulate sku choices from online buyers, (the latter quite likely, although I expect the former is also applicable).

After my complaint to Morrisons the 5% fat burgers have miraculously suddenly been in stock every week (and no longer substituted), before the complaint the spell lasted multiple months of unable to buy them.  Sadly they wouldnt let me query about paracetamol, as they only consider been able to order (and then been subbed) a problem, but never been able to order is fine.

Also in all my years of online shopping I have never ever had quantity partially filled, so if e.g. you order 4 of something and they only have 3, I expect you wont get the 3, they will either sub or bring nothing.  If someone has something partially filled a reply on that grounds would be nice if I need correcting, so things that get subbed a lot I try to only order 1 now.

Another trick is to tick to not accept subs, in my opinion that makes it more likely you get what you order but at the risk you get nothing if they cant fulfil it, its logical if they dont have enough stock for all orders they would prioritise those they cant sub first so they losing less money on the order.  Sadly morrisons dont seem to let you reject subs on order, only delivery so cant use the trick on them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback