We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Commercial Energy - what next for businesses, large and small?

Options

Comments

• MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 September 2022 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    I'm a little surprised that this thread hasn't had more responses.

Or maybe business owners don't read MSE, they're too busy running their businesses 😉🤔
    Historically this website has always had a consumer focus so for the most part the businesses have been the opposition, not the the ones intended to benefit from being here :)
    No reason not to talk about it though unless the admins feel otherwise, as it is important to consumers that the businesses they support and need do survive...

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MWT said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Or maybe business owners don't read MSE, they're too busy running their businesses 😉🤔
    Historically this website has always had a consumer focus so for the most part the businesses have been the opposition, not the the ones intended to benefit from being here :)
    No reason not to talk about it though unless the admins feel otherwise, as it is important to consumers that the businesses they support and need do survive...

I understand.   But they are still "consumers" too, personally, with the same need to consult MSE for everything outside their business sphere.

I hope the mods feel this is a valid subject, as it does (will?) effect us all as consumers and/or taxpayers.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.51% of current retirement "pot" (as at end June 2024)
  • BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A Scottish bakery company, from £7k>£79k!  :open_mouth:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62756460
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 September 2022 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    MWT said:
    Sea_Shell said:

I understand.   But they are still "consumers" too, personally, with the same need to consult MSE for everything outside their business sphere.

I hope the mods feel this is a valid subject, as it does (will?) effect us all as consumers and/or taxpayers.
    I have no problem with it being here, I run businesses in several countries, including the UK, but we do need to remember that the landscape is very different for business customers in terms of the limited protections, and the very varied type of contracts they may have, so a lot of our standard advice is not applicable.

• Sea_Shell
    Options
    BUFF said:

Wow!!    No business can survive that.

Let's hope the "big" bakers have access to cheaper rates than that!!  Otherwise packed lunches are going to get very expensive ☹️

I wonder what Mr Warburton's* bills are going to go up by?

*Other brands are available 😉
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.51% of current retirement "pot" (as at end June 2024)
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    MWT said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    MWT said:
    Sea_Shell said:

I have no problem with it being here, I run businesses in several countries, including the UK, but we do need to remember that the landscape is very different for business customers in terms of the limited protections, and the very varied type of contracts they may have, so a lot of our standard advice is not applicable.

I wasn't thinking about being able to give them any "advice", just more trying to get an overview of the landscape out there in the commercial energy world from those "at the coal face", first hand, rather than just what we may read in the media. 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,696 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just read of a music venue £10k to £144000 a year
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    BUFF said:
    Well, you say that ...
    It's an extra £200 a day. If the bakery makes 10,000 pies a day (and I don't know if that's a reasonable number, but from the photo it looks fairly larger and there are 1500 empty pie cases in one of them) that's an extra 2p on a pie.
    Will pie eaters pay an extra 2p? I don't know, but thewre's a good chance they will.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I did read of chippys not selling pies due to ever increasing costs .

Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    QrizB said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    BUFF said:
    Well, you say that ...
    It's an extra £200 a day. If the bakery makes 10,000 pies a day (and I don't know if that's a reasonable number, but from the photo it looks fairly larger and there are 1500 empty pie cases in one of them) that's an extra 2p on a pie.
    Will pie eaters pay an extra 2p? I don't know, but thewre's a good chance they will.

If it was as "easy" to cover as just 2p per pie, why go to the media about it?   

It's probably significantly more than that, at a guess.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback