Locked in and darent come out

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 20 August 2022 at 11:16AM in Techie Stuff
Apologies if this is a repost.
I currently use  Chrome, Brave &  Opera on my Samsung A70. (each do things slightly better than the other).  However despite umpteen attempts to install another browser,  I don't get far,  simply because I use FB a lot
 and I can't remember my FB password.

There isn't a need to install another browser,  but equally,  I don't like the thought that I can't.

If I try several possible passwords, there's always the chance that FB might lock me out totally.. 

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    I reset a Facebook password this week, was surprised that it required photo-id and a time-out while this was checked. 

So I can see why you might hesitate before taking this (obvious) solution.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I reset a Facebook password this week, was surprised that it required photo-id and a time-out while this was checked. 

Yes, the fact I'm now the only admin on a page is a worry. 
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't you use, say, Google Chrome to check what your password for Facebook is? If you open Chrome on the phone and click settings then passwords there is an option to check all your passwords. Mind you you do need to know your Google account password to be able to see this! You could also go straight from the desktop of your computer and choose settings, autofill, passwords.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    giraffe69 said:
    Can't you use, say, Google Chrome to check what your password for Facebook is? If you open Chrome on the phone and click settings then passwords there is an option to check all your passwords. Mind you you do need to know your Google account password to be able to see this! You could also go straight from the desktop of your computer and choose settings, autofill, passwords.
    Some people (me) choose not to store userids/passwords in browsers. Personally I use a password manager (LastPass).
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I wonder what the point of asking for photo ID is. It's not as if someone or some bot at Facebook can look at my photo to confirm that it's actually me. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That's new - I reset mine a few weeks ago and it was the normal reset process.  No ID required. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options

I wonder what the point of asking for photo ID is. It's not as if someone or some bot at Facebook can look at my photo to confirm that it's actually me. 
    May be my inexact description of the id required, needed something official with your name and DOB visible, only things I had to hand were driving licence or passport. Other (non-photo) id may be acceptable.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

They can use one of the verification services that will check your drivers License or passport matched the one on the central database of you.

So yes, they can take photo ID and check it is you.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    elsien said:

That's new - I reset mine a few weeks ago and it was the normal reset process.  No ID required. 
    Don't know if it's a new general requirement or driven by the fact that this Facebook account had been inactive for at least 4 years (or something else their AI has decided is a criterion for more rigorous reset checking).
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some people (me) choose not to store userids/passwords in browsers. Personally I use a password manager (LastPass).
    Well, of course you can but it might provide a route for OP. Didn't sound like they were a Lastpass user.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback