We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Morrisons Payment Failed

Options
Morrisons cancelled my delivery today as my bank had not authorised the payment (mastercard). Bank said Morrisons had not sent through the correct ccv details. The card has been on my account for over 2 years and I have not changed the details. Rang Morrisons this morning and the woman said that they knew there was a problem. Rang again just now and they say it's nothing to do with them, its me or my bank. I'm fuming as I had to shlep into town (I didn't go to Morrisons), using my petrol and 2 hours of my time when I have an annual delivery pass. Has anyone else had a problem today with Morrisons?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,994 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 August 2022 at 5:48PM
    Options
    This happened to a lot of us a few months ago and there was a thread about it at the time. Mine took weeks and weeks for them to finally take payment for an order. 

They have subsequently closed my account now because I ordered cigarettes every week and that flags their system as dodgy activity so unless I email them with photo Id, they won’t reopen my account so I have told them what they can do with my account and asked them to delete all my details from their system. 

Utter shambles of a company. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,083 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    vintner55 said:
    Bank said Morrisons had not sent through the correct ccv details. The card has been on my account for over 2 years and I have not changed the details.
    I'm pretty sure that the card company rules say that retailers aren't allowed to store the CVV - are you not asked to rekey it each time ?
  • sarah1972
    Options
    vintner55 said:
    Bank said Morrisons had not sent through the correct ccv details. The card has been on my account for over 2 years and I have not changed the details.
    I'm pretty sure that the card company rules say that retailers aren't allowed to store the CVV - are you not asked to rekey it each time ?
    Yes that’s correct. It’s entered each time.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 830 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had the same problem with Tesco on the 16th - thankfully they called me and I had a visa card they could use instead. It was like drawing blood from a stone to find out what the problem actually was though, as I had no clue why my Tesco branded credit card with well over £6k credit available wasn't working in Tesco. 

I think it has something to do with the two-factor authentication mastercard has? Sometimes I'm asked for it with Tesco, sometimes I'm not. That order was booked before they started doing it more frequently. That said, since then I've had basket changes where I've needed to reverify for adding one 50p item and new orders that don't ask for it at all, so who knows. 
  • vintner55
    vintner55 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No I wasn't asked for the CCV, I authorised the transaction through the Natwest app. Their reaction has been appalling, another phone call where they just cut me off, nothing beyond a standard acknowledgement of an email and kept me hanging on for 45 minutes on an online chat until I gave up. I just want an answer to know if I can use the delivery service again or if I'm going to have the same problem again and if so what is the point of having a delivery pass.
  • sarah1972
    Options
    vintner55 said:
    No I wasn't asked for the CCV, I authorised the transaction through the Natwest app. Their reaction has been appalling, another phone call where they just cut me off, nothing beyond a standard acknowledgement of an email and kept me hanging on for 45 minutes on an online chat until I gave up. I just want an answer to know if I can use the delivery service again or if I'm going to have the same problem again and if so what is the point of having a delivery pass.
    If it’s anything like last time, I couldn’t order for about a month as it took them that long to finally take the payment and my account was blocked until it cleared
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2022 at 2:46AM
    Options
    So I dont know exactly whats happened yet, 6am slot, and email sent to me at midnight.

I decided to pay via my capital one card instead of barclays this week.  Details were put in on order and was accepted by the visa verification check.  The card itself has thousands of unutilised limit. (paid in full every month).

But today I get a delivery cancelled due to a vague "problem with your payment".

So I take it morrisons have two issues here, they try to take payment way too late.  Really should take when order submitted in my opinion (or place hold on funds) and then refund if needed for not in stock items later, or take the day before so if a problem customer can work on it.

Second issue is that they couldnt take a payment for a card that is valid and used by other companies fine.

I will update the post later when I have spoken to the card supplier and morrisons to see what the excuses are from both companies.

Submitted new order for 6-7pm tonight lost two items on out of stock and is an awkward time for me but same day at least, back on the barclaycard.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    Thanks I had a quick read.

So I spoke to both capital one and Morrisons.

Capital one says the payment was approved and left in a pending state with Morrisons not actually pushing through the payment, in short they think Morrisons billing system has some kind of issue as there has been other complaints regarding Morrisons.  They say when it either times out or Morrisons issue a manual cancellation I will get refunded, if it times out will be about 2 weeks.  This isnt my concern though I know I will get the money back.

Morrisons, tell me the payment didnt go through and they cannot offer any details as to why, I asked if they could take payment earlier, or even at the point of order, they explained they dont take it earlier because some customers cannot afford to have payments in limbo, takes time ot refund etc, for cancelled orders, so they only take when the order is for sure going ahead been picked.  They wont put a hold on it like Amazon do for that reason as well.

I remember once several years back was a problem with my payment with ASDA and they rang me to take payment manually, so the order still went ahead.  So better processes are possible.

So sadly no real resolution here, just will keep using the Barclaycard for Morrisons.

Ironically I took up their delivery pass last week and that was paid with the capital one card.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    Had issue with Morrisons not taking payment today.

I forgot to put this bit in my own thread, I will update that post in a second.

But I know my card details were correct as I added them last week and paid for delivery pass with it, in addition I tried to make an order with a typo on the card number and it failed, they do some kind of check when submitting the order to check the card.  So in my opinion its likely an error on the supermarket or card providers side.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 1,043 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've merged a couple of threads on this
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback