Shared accommodation for OAP?

MrE1
MrE1 Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 August 2022 at 9:55PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
I am fearful of the future.

Over a number of years I have been able to live frugally in shared accommodation on £350 a month with bills included found via https://www.spareroom.com/

However I'm fearful that as I get older shared accomodation on £450 a month or less (bills inc) may become less available as landlords may tend to state a maximum age as a preference (which would not be to the end of life).

Self contained rented accommodation and own property is a lot dearer, so my forecasted  pension may not suffice.

Does anyone know a platform where I find cheap shared accommodation  for oaps? Or advice on finding it

Thank you in advance
E

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You'd probably be better posting on a board more geared to accommodation matters, such as https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/house-buying-renting-selling, rather than the savings and investments one....
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Or maybe this forum, which is a bit more general.
    Over 50s MoneySaving — MoneySavingExpert Forum
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 951 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    We've moved this to the Over 50s board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,816 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If any landlord was so blatant to state an age limit they could be charged for discrimination.  Then again why would you want to deal with such an individual?  Or perhaps why would you want to live with a group of people so different than yourself?  I am well past the age to want to live even on the same street as uni students or similar, even young families with noisy children for that matter!!  

Depending on your own age and abilities and suitability you may want to think about becoming a live in companion, possibly through a care agency?   Or contact a housing association.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I'm in a over 55s housing association flat. Rent is £340 a month...but all other utilities..council tax are extra. 
    If you get a pension forcast at least you know what you're due. 
    There are benefits to be claimed if you're not due a full pension..including help with rent and council tax. 
    I had my name with housing association for 2 years waiting. 
    Sorry not sure how old you are but hopefully this will help 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,176 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OP are you ex services? Even if only in for a few weeks? There are ex service associations that run accommodation blocks / flats / housing
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,260 Forumite
    There’s quite a lot of over 55s/60s housing association properties and you can often apply directly rather through the council.  A lot of over 60s accommodation is actually quite expensive.  We live in one and they are happy to take housing benefit if that applies to you.  
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm in a over 55s housing association flat. Rent is £340 a month...but all other utilities..council tax are extra. 
    There are benefits to be claimed if you're not due a full pension..including help with rent and council tax. 
    There’s quite a lot of over 55s/60s housing association properties and you can often apply directly rather through the council.  A lot of over 60s accommodation is actually quite expensive.  We live in one and they are happy to take housing benefit if that applies to you.  
    Just to echo this: HA properties for the over 50s (or more) are easier to find that 'regular' properties from social landlords, for several reasons:
    • the age restriction limits the number of people who can apply
    • there's a higher turnover of tenants
    • the tenancy generally can't be passed on to anyone else
    • limitations on right to buy
    Plus there are often flats to rent privately, because these properties don't always hold their value well - but this is more the private sector. 

My friend has an amazing flat rented through https://www.mha.org.uk/ which they moved into after a series of more or less successful shared housing experiences, so I'd guess in a similar situation to the OP. It's a mixed development of new-build flats and church conversion, most were sold but this one just didn't sell. Some of the ones which were sold are rented out for shorter or longer periods. Everything is wheelchair friendly, should that become necessary, and there is an alarm cord which can be used to contact the off-site warden (maybe weekly visits). 

When they moved in, they were one of the younger members of the community (and still working), so I'd say well worth looking now. 

But do check pension situation: and remember Pension Credit as well.  

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,260 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue said:
    Just to echo this: HA properties for the over 50s (or more) are easier to find that 'regular' properties from social landlords, for several reasons:
    Plus there are often flats to rent privately, because these properties don't always hold their value well - but this is more the private sector. 

My friend has an amazing flat rented through https://www.mha.org.uk/ which they moved into after a series of more or less successful shared housing experiences, so I'd guess in a similar situation to the OP. It's a mixed development of new-build flats and church conversion, most were sold but this one just didn't sell. Some of the ones which were sold are rented out for shorter or longer periods. Everything is wheelchair friendly, should that become necessary, and there is an alarm cord which can be used to contact the off-site warden (maybe weekly visits). 

When they moved in, they were one of the younger members of the community (and still working), so I'd say well worth looking now. 

But do check pension situation: and remember Pension Credit as well.  

Sadly that’s often due to the older tenants dying.  We’ve lost 2 in the last month, both due to “old age”.  
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Savvy_Sue said:
    Sadly that’s often due to the older tenants dying.  We’ve lost 2 in the last month, both due to “old age”.  
    Yes, both that and tenants' needs for support increasing to the point where independent living is no longer viable. But from the OP's point of view, it's well worth looking at: my friend has never regretted the move. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure