New car order, cancellation.

Hi, we ordered a new car in April , we were told at the time the worse case scenario on delivery would be end of July which it states on the paper work. We had an e-mail on July 28th to choose a reg plate which we did and we got excited. We were asked to go in and pay the balance of the first payment and sign paper work which I did the same day. Then on the 4 th of August we were told there was a delay, a logistical problem in get the car delivered !!  Any way it is now the 12th and still no car and a change in car reg is looming which means our brand new reg will son be " not so new "  . Any way I am considering cancelling the order, am I within my rights .

Comments

• DanDare999
    DanDare999 Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Madcap22 said:
    Hi, we ordered a new car in April , we were told at the time the worse case scenario on delivery would be end of July which it states on the paper work. We had an e-mail on July 28th to choose a reg plate which we did and we got excited. We were asked to go in and pay the balance of the first payment and sign paper work which I did the same day. Then on the 4 th of August we were told there was a delay, a logistical problem in get the car delivered !!  Any way it is now the 12th and still no car and a change in car reg is looming which means our brand new reg will son be " not so new "  . Any way I am considering cancelling the order, am I within my rights .
    What does your contract say about cancelling?
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would ask what reg it will be, you might be worrying about nothing.
    Don't get me wrong it’s 01/09/22 reg or nothing.
    If they don’t have the car yet they have x amount of weeks to register it.

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So is the plate you chose current, or the Sept reg?
    They can't have registered it yet if they don't physically have it?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If the OP cancel the order, what will they do instead for a car?

Best thing would be to delay registration / delivery until 1st September 
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Madcap22 said:
    This to me says that the car has been registered.

All they need is the chassis number to register it. Your car will be a 22 and not a 72

I doubt you would be able to cancel your order without penalty. 

Have you spoken to the company who you are buying the car from?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Madcap22 said:
    There are a few manufactures that have centers where the car comes into the country via boat, where they PDI car etc (not done at local dealer). A few of these are having trouble due to shortage of HGV drivers to deliver stock to dealers. So that could be the issue.

Just ask the dealer what the " logistical problem" is.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Picking a 22 plate with 34 days before the plates change to 72, and then cancelling it because it's a few days delayed and won't look so new is just bonkers. It was going to look "old" in no time anyway. Even if you bought it on the first of April it'd be an old plate within 6 months.

Do people really care that much about the age numbers is this world of private vanity registrations?

If you got some letters you like, and the delay of the physical car isn't causing you any problems, I'd just stick with it. You can always ask the dealership if they can do anything to make up for the delay like some paint/upholstry protection or mats or something.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 August 2022 at 3:08PM
    So, if it had arrived at the end of July you would be happy with  the registration which would wouldn't look 'as new' in a few weeks.

You would have to order another new car and wait up to year for it to arrive. It will probably cost more and the same scenario may happen again.

Is it really worth it.

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I , like others don’t really get why you would be happy getting a 22 plate in July but not a few weeks later.

has it really been registered though?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It is new whether it's 22 or 72 as it's new - not second hand, am I missing something? Does it really matter or is it more for appearances?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback