Pinching Pennies

Comments

• daintydaisy
    daintydaisy Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Spent more than I wanted to today (about £40) on petrol, cat litter & food/parking. Need to be better at preparing lunches the day before because whenever I say “I’ll do it in the morning” I never have time. Always begrudge buying sandwiches when I could have made one for a fraction of the price at home. 

On a positive note, made an extra £5 on a survey today. Will just be withdrawing survey money to add to my current account to make up for the costs today. 

Going to have a rummage through the cupboards and see what I can make for tea, I bought chicken the other day so am thinking some kind of chicken pasta. 
  • daintydaisy
    Bought some turkey slices yesterday for lunches (£2.80 for 2) and hoping for a NSD today.
    Have done some more surveys so just waiting for those to get approved and that will pocket me another £20. It's also my birthday on Wednesday so I'm hoping to set up a pot for any money I get because I have my eye on a pair of docs. Hoping to sell a few more items on Vinted too (already sold 2 which will pocket me around £12)
    Working again tonight - 2-10pm and have an early start on Monday - meeting Uni folks at 8:30am! 

So far this is what my finances are looking like:

CC #1: nothing owed on this as 0% ran out in dec, hoping to cancel this soon.

CC #2: £764 (0% until Apr 2024 - hoping to pay this off with overtime through summer)

Klarna: £72.78 total - one payment of £29 due end of May (and another at the end of June) and one payment of £15 due beginning of June. 

EF: £310

Pots: Birthday of the month has £20 in it, Todd fund has £20 in it.

So my total debt sits at £835.78 whilst my net worth is at £350 (excluding money in the bank as this is for bills).

Will be a tight month but should manage until payday on 1st June.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like you are doing well. Nice to have survey £ as a cushion.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • daintydaisy
    It’s my birthday today! 

My lovely BF bought me the docs I wanted so that saves me setting up another pot for them. Thinking about investing in some shoe-care products for them so they stay in tact for longer.
    I also got some vouchers. Whilst I don’t need anything at the minute it might come in handy for holiday later this year or if I fancy treating myself. 

Spent £22 yesterday buying some essentials and items needed for an experiment for Uni, but I’ve also withdrawn £16 from surveys and £5 from selling clothes so almost broken even. I need to fill my car up today but other than that I have no plans to spend. 

Thinking I may go for a run this morning to get back into the swing of C25K. I started it a couple of weeks back but took about a week off as my knees were hurting. Hoping it won’t be too much of a shock to the system!

I also need to clean the house a little but hoping it’s a short day at uni so that will give me time to tidy before folks come round tonight. 

In other exciting housey news: our patio is finally sorted and BBQ the in-laws bought us for Xmas is all set up! We are so lucky to have my partners Dad as he’s a DIY king and helped us to lay the patio. Bought the slates for a fraction of the price they are usually sold at from Gumtr33 so that’s a MSE win! 

Have a great day all!
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Happy birthday, have a lovely day 🎂 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,107 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy birthday!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Belated Happy birthday 🎂
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • daintydaisy
    Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone :)

Happy Friday!
     Busy couple of weeks at uni but they've been so productive. I had some good news on Thursday regarding a lesson I was teaching in another school - got some good feedback which I'm really happy about. It makes all of the hard work worth it :)

I got some money for my birthday which I'm hanging onto until I can deposit it at the bank. Also made a few quid on Prolific - surveys have been quite high paying recently so have made about £40 the past couple of weeks. Withdrew £12 today which paid for my L!dl shop (bought some things for tea and some pain au chocolat as that's my recent obsession). Currently got Bolognese slow cooking which will do us for tea tonight and tomorrow.

I'm working all weekend - will be bringing my own lunches into work so hopefully won't be spending any money (unless the OH asks me to pick something up!)

I've been on 2 runs this week, doing week 2 of C25K. Found today's run a bit of a struggle as my knees/shins are hurting. Think I'm going to take the weekend off to recover so I can get back to it on Monday. Loving it so far though, it's nice to have a hobby.

Have a great weekend all x

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,107 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    What are you doing at uni?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • daintydaisy
    beanielou said:
    What are you doing at uni?
    Primary Education! 😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts